thirty five

((four years later))

hannah

i sat on the couch and matt walked through the door. emily ran up to him.

"daddy!" she yelled

"hi princess, how was your day?"

"it was good. me and mommy walked to the park and then we went to get ice cream."

"that's funny because mommy is supposed to be resting" he said giving me a look

he kissed emily's forehead and told her to go play.

"han the doctor put you on bed rest for a reason"

"she was bored i wanted to take her to do something."

"i know but it's for your health and the baby's"

every since emily was born matt and i have been together. he loves emily and treats her as if she was his biological daughter. now five years after emily was born i got pregnant again and i was extremely happy.

"i don't want anything to happen to my soon to be wife and my son."

when matt found out we were having a baby he decided it was the right time to propose to me.

but there's been some difficulties during my pregnancy and the doctor put me on bed rest to assure everything would be okay.

emily came back into the room and sat next to me on the couch.

"mommy"

"yes love?" i replied

"can you read me a story later?"

"of course"

"daddy, will you read to me with mommy?"

"sure" he smiled

we sat together as a family and just watched some tv. i got up to get emily a juice box.

"mommy you're bleeding" emily said

i looked down as i felt something dripping down my leg and saw blood.

-

matt

she held onto me as she sobbed into my shirt.

"it's okay hannah. shh, i have you."

"i-i'm sorry. it's m-my fault." she cried

"you couldn't do anything about it. it's not your fault"

"i should h-have been resting. i'm sorry you're n-not gonna have a son."

"love, it's okay. please breathe. just breathe for me."

hannah's parents took emily while i brought hannah to the hospital, where we were told that hannah miscarried and lost the baby. hannah's mom just came over and dropped emily off.

"why is mommy crying?" she asked me as tears brimmed her eyes

"n-no don't cry baby" han replied

i pulled emily up on the couch next to me and hannah.

"well you know h-how i was having a b-baby, and y-you were gonna h-have a little brother?"

"yeah i can't wait to play with him and be a really good big sister!" she smiled

seeing her be so excited about the baby broke my heart and made hannah cry even more.

"princess something happened and mommy isn't gonna have the baby anymore" i said

"if mommy isn't having the baby who is?"

"no one is, the baby passed away"

"oh" she sighed

hannah got up and walked to our bedroom shutting the door. i sat on the couch holding emily.

"is mommy gonna be okay?" emily asked

"yes, she's just really sad right now."

"am i ever gonna have a baby brother?"

"i hope so princess"

i sat there with emily in my arms for a few more minutes but i could hear hannah crying from our bedroom.

"i think mommy needs us, what do you think?" i asked emily

she nodded and grabbed my hand pulling me to mine and hannah's room. she ran in pulling me behind her. the light was on in the bathroom so i assumed hannah was in there. i walked by the door and saw her standing inside with a handful of pills. i ran in and shut the door so emily wouldn't see before knocking the pills out of her hands.

"what the hell hannah?"

she slid down the wall hysterical crying.

"i w-wanna die"

i sat in front of her and held her hands.

"you have a beautiful fucking little girl out there who loves you more than anything. you have me. damnit hannah i know this sucks but don't leave us, we need you. please promise me you won't try this again."

"i-i p-promise."

"i love you so much. the thought of losing you, i-i wouldn't be able to handle it"

" i love you too"

i took hannah's hand helping her off the floor and pulling her into my arms. i rocked her back and forth for a few minutes before suggesting she should go lay down.

i opened the door to see our little girl sleeping on the floor in front of the door.

"can you pick her up and hand her to me? please" han asked

i bent down, picked emily up and handed her to hannah.

"my baby" hannah said as she rocked emily in her arms "do you care if she sleeps in bed with us tonight?"

"of course not"

i laid down in bed and hannah laid emily down in the middle of us. i rubbed the back of my hand on her cheek. she may not be blood related but i love this little girl so much. i reached my hand over emily and grabbed hannah's hand. we both laid there admiring emily, she started moving around. she moved closer to me and curled up against my chest.

"i love you daddy" she mumbled

"i love you too princess"

her small eyes opened and she looked over at han.

"i love you mommy"

"i love you too emily. close your eyes and go back to bed baby. mommy and daddy will be here when you wake up"

i pulled hannah in closer to me and emily. hannah gave me a smile.

"the only thing i need in my life is my two girls and that's exactly what i have" i smiled

-

holy shit this is the last chapter of this story. i kinda don't want to do an epilogue because i really like how i ended it but lemme know what you think