Chapter 10: Trying to be Happy

When I walked into Dr. White's office, and he was really upset.

"Hey, what's wrong." I asked.

"Sam! I thought he took you too! Justin's gone. I thought you might have went looking for him." He said hugging me.

"Justin's dead." I said sitting down.

"What?" Dr. White said sharply.

"The Manipulator killed him." I said sadly.

"How do you know that? He could still be alive." He said worriedly.

"I looked for him with my mind. I couldn't find him." I said.

"Oh... Can you fill out this form for me, and will excuse me for a minute." He said walking out of the room.

I filled out the form, and a few tears fell on the paper.

Dr. White walked back in here. His face was red. It was obvious that he had been crying.

"We are going to have a funeral for him in two days. I have already set it up." He said taking the paper from me.

"We don't have his body." I said quietly.

"We don't need it." He said not looking at me.

"Can I see his letters? Cindy said that you had them." I said.

"Yes, they have already read the one to everyone, but she said to give it to you when you were ready for it." He said handing me both of them. One had Sam written on the back of it, and the other had S.O.S. Seeing his handwriting brought tears to my eyes. It was like a piece of art. Every letter was beautiful. I knew I was crying, but by now I was used to the tears.

"I think I'll go to my room to read these." I said.

He nodded, and I slowly walked to my room.

I looked at the painting and the rose. I opened the note to all of us.

"My friends,

I have decided to put upon myself the task of defeating The Manipulator. I most likely will not return alive. I wanted to tell all of you that you all have the potential to be fantastic people and friends. Ben, never stop being you. Beck, try to smile some more. Cindy, keep being a great friend and a great person. Mandy, try to be a little nicer and a little less conceited. Annie and Colin, try to talk a little more. We are your friends there is nothing to be nervous about. Tell Dr. White that I said thank you for everything he has done for me. I also have a note for Samantha to read. I am so proud to be a member of the unstoppable S.O.S. Never stop believing in yourselves. You will all do great things. I know you will.

Sincerely your friend and fellow team member,

Justin Long.

(Ps. Colin, just talk to her. It is obvious that you like each other a lot. Ask her to a movie or something. I promise that she will say yes.)"

I was crying the entire time I was reading. I had to be careful not to get the paper wet with tears. There was a knock at my door. I walked over with the note still in my hand.

Peter was standing in the doorway when I opened the door.

"Sam? Are you okay? It looks like you have been crying." He said as his eyes noticed the note in my hand. His face was instantly sorry.

"Oh, should I come back another time?" He asked.

"No... stay here." I chocked out. I was crying too hard. I could barely speak.