Chapter 2: A Fresh Start

When I woke, Peter was lying on the floor asleep. I stood up and looked at his alarm clock. I couldn't believe it was already 6:30! Peter's parents wake up at 7:00 every day! I knew I didn't have a long time before they came knocking on his door to wake him up.

I quickly grabbed his comb and brushed my extremely tangled hair. I took the note and on the back I wrote about having to leave in a hurry. I picked up the small bag of my things and got ready to walk out the door.

I couldn't stop the tears from falling down when I took one last look at Peter sleeping on the floor. I might never see him again. I bent down and lightly kissed his cheek.

"Sam?" He asked as he woke.

"Hey Pete, you might want to get in your bed because your parents will be coming in at any minute." I said still crying.

"I will, but Sam were you going to leave without telling me bye?" He asked.

"I should probably say no, but yeah. I wrote you another note." I said shamefully.

"Be careful out there Sam. Not everyone is as nice and smart as me." He said smiling. I lightly laughed.

"So this is goodbye then." I said quietly.

"I guess so." He said as a tear slid down his pale cheek.

"I'll never forget you Pete." I said in a shaking voice as I stood up.

"Nor will I forget you." He said standing and putting the blankets on his bed.

I walked towards the window and put my bag on the ground. Just as I was about to climb out, he stopped me.

"Sam, if you are going to leave and fall in love with other people, I want to know I was your first kiss." he said lightly pressing his lips to mine. I was shocked, stunned, caught off guard, no matter what you say I felt it all.

I didn't know what to say, so I jumped out the window, grabbed my bag, and ran.

I ran as fast as I could run away from my old life. From my parents, the bullies at school, my teachers, my peers, and most of all from Peter.

I ran until I saw a small dog walking on the road beside me. It had a collar on, so I picked it up and read it's tag. The tag read "Princess, Mr and Mrs Crown" I took Princess to the address that was listed below the names. I rang the gold doorbell of the small house and looked around. They had a gigantic yard that was absolutely stunning! They had such a variety of plants and wildlife. A woman opened the door.

"Can I help y... PRINCESS!" She yelled taking her dog out of my arms.

"I found her on the street, and I thought it would be best to return her." I said happily as I turned to walk away.

"Thank you so much!... Do you have anywhere to go?" She asked after a short pause of silence.

"Not really." I said embarrassed.

"How would you like to stay here then?" She asked.

"I couldn't. I wouldn't feel right about it." I said sternly.

"Please, as a reward. If you want I could give you a job at the farm." She said.

"I guess I could stay here then." I said waking inside with her.

I met Mr. Crown and learned how to work in a farm. After my hard work everyday, Mrs. Crown would make a wonderful dinner. It was a nice life for the year I was there. I got to become really good friends with the Crowns. I would have stayed longer, but something rather strange happened.

I was working in the barn when all of the sudden I shot up in the air. I couldn't stop my self from spinning in circles and flying around. I had no clue what was happening. I was getting dizzy from all of the spinning. I thought I would be sick. Then all of these bright red beams started coming from my hands. They were destroying the barn. It was like a explosion was coming out of my hands. I couldn't stop it or control it. Outside, thunder and lighting cracked loudly. Heavy rain fell on the roof of the barn. I of course, was still flying around and screaming. Mrs. Crown ran outside and everything stopped. I fell to the hard ground and all was calm.

"What happened out here?" Mrs. Crown asked.

"I...I don't know." I said frightened and still dizzy.

"What did you do to my barn!?!" Mr. Crown yelled.

"I don't know. It was an accident." I said crying.

"What kind of freak are you?" He asked angrily.

"I'm not a freak!" I screamed.

"Then explain to me what happened to my barn." He said.

"I can't." I said sadly.

"Come here." He said pulling me by my arm. He sat in a chair and pulled up a website. The page read "GOVERNMENT TOP SECRET MISSION." How does he know of this top secret mission? I thought. I watched him as he typed in some code and pulled up another site. He wrote down a phone number and dialed it on his cell. He walked out of the room to speak.

What could he possibly be talking about? Is it about me? Oh, no I'm going to be experimented on! I thought while he talked.

All of the sudden, I hear his voice inside my head.

"I have finally found someone perfect for your program."

"I'll bring her." he said hanging up the phone and waking back in the room.

"Where are you going to take me?" I asked.

"Where you can get a job that is suitable for someone like you." he said.

"You mean there are other people like me?" I asked.

"You'll see. Pack your things. We need to leave soon." He said grabbing his computer.

I went to my room and quickly packed all of my things. Then when I walked outside, Mrs. Crown was talking.

"What will happen to her?" She asked concerned.

"Hopefully, she will be able to help all of us." He said.

I walked to his car and put my bag of things in his trunk.

"I'm ready to go." I said opening the door.

"Wait! I want you to have this in case you need it. I also wanted to give you this." Mrs. Crown said handing me a stack of bills and a beautiful golden locket in the shape of a heart.

"Thank you, for everything. I could never repay you for all the kind things you have done for me." I said hugging her tightly. When I let go, she was heavily breathing.

"My, you've gotten strong." She said.

I sat in the car and waited a while before Mr. Crown got in the car.

"Don't worry, I am not taking you to some lab. I know a friend who knows a lot about people like you. I'm sorry for getting angry earlier. I am bad at controlling my temper." He said.

"You're fine." I said sitting in silence and looking at my locket the rest of the trip.

--------------------------------------------

A/N: What do you guys think? I am so excited to write this book! I know I keep saying that, but that's how excited I am! Please comment and give me feedback on my writing!

~Shaely