chapter 27- music festival

Comincia dall'inizio

"You're a dork." Mitch rolled his eyes while he smiled. He propped himself up by placing both of his arms behind him. His legs where sprawled out in front of him while mine where crossed. To release my inner five year old, I was sitting crisscross applesauce.

"Whatever, you're not one to talk." I said, pointing out the fact that he was lightly swaying to the music. He stuck out his tounge at me, which I mimicked in response. As we sat there, listening to the music, I thought about how when I went home, it would be times like these that I would remember. And I was fine with that.

-------

"Mitch! There's a playground!" I screamed as I ran towards it, Mitch following not too far behind. The music festival was taking a bit of an intermission, so Mitch and I decided to walk around. I had left Mitch to carry the blanket as I jumped on one of the swings.

"You're such a child." Mitch laughed as he set the blanket down on the ground. He leaned against the pole and watched me attempt to swing.

"Shut up and push me." Mitch shook his head smiling as he walked behind me and started to push me. I smiled as I got higher and higher. After a while, I didn't feel Mitch behind me anymore. I turned to see that he had gotten on the other swing and he was pointing his phone at me. I laughed and recorded him with the camera. "Two can play at that game." I smiled at him.

"Fine, you win. Okay?" Mitch asked as he lowered his phone.

"Okay." I turned the camera off. We swung for a little while in silence. The birds chirping and the creaking of the metal chains chopped up the silence and broke it every so often. I listened to the chains whine as I kicked my legs so I could try and swing higher."Hey Mitch," I broke our silence as I kicked my legs again.
"Hmm?" Mitch was lazily swinging, he wasn't really trying to go high. His feet were still touching the ground as he moved back and fourth. His eyes were closed as he held his face up towards the sun.

"What has been the best part of your summer so far?" I stuck my legs out in front of me and watched them fall as my swing went backwards. The swing went back forwards, and they rose again. Partially because I was curious, partially because I wanted to keep our conversation going. Mitch didn't say anything for a few seconds, I guess he was just thinking. As I kicked my legs again I heard him speak in a soft voice.

"You." He spoke so softly, that I almost didn't hear him over the creaking of the chain. I turned my head to look at him as I swung, he was looking at me already, his eyes squinting because of the sun.

I took a few moments to think of a response. I slowed down my swinging and dropped a few feet in height as I extended my legs so my feet lightly dragged on top of the grass. As I came closer to Mitch's height, I decided to speak. "You too." Mitch looked up and gave me a shy smile.

"Come on, I think the music's going to begin again." He stood up from his swing and with one hand he grabbed the blanket and in the other, he held it out to me. I grabbed his hand and jumped off of my swing. We walked instep of each other with our conjoined hands swinging between us.

---------

I was lying on the blanket on my back with my eyes closed, lazily drumming my fingers on the ground. Mitch was sitting next to me, trying to hum along to the music. We were still at the festival, just chilling out and listening to the different performers. Some where bands, some were people singing as they played an instrument, and some was just instrumental music. It was like an open mic for any kind of musician. I was relaxing as I listened to the somewhat classical music that was being played when I felt Mitch grab my hand and pull me up.

"What are we doing?" I asked when we were both standing. Mitch smiled and placed one hand on my waist and the other in my own hand.

"Dancing." He shrugged simply as he kept smiling at me