Chapter 13

I landed on a tree branch, shock overtaking me. I folded my wings in tight, trying to stop the shivers of fear that were rippling through my body. I looked out. The boy was long gone, and I was feeling hopeless. Why had I been so stupid?

I banged my head against the tree. Stupid, stupid, stupid!

"Stop it Madelyn; you're gonna hurt yourself."

I sighed and stopped banging my head. "Why did this have to happen?"

"It wouldn't have happened if you had just told Caspian."

I sighed once again, knowing that Ashlea was right. I looked out, trying to see if that boy was still there. He wasn't.

"I know. And I was being stupid. Which explains why I was banging my head against the tree. I'm stupid."

"No, you're not. I've seen many exposures before, and most supernatural don't even last a day. They're captured or killed. But you're still safe, and you can do it. I believe in you. Now, you need to go tell Caspian."

"But what if he exiles me? Or tortures me? What if he traumatizes me in his panther form?"

Horrid thoughts permeated my mind, and I shivered fearfully.

"Caspian's a good leader, and good leaders don't torture. You'll be fine. Exile is a possibility, but you do know what you've done is a major offense, right?"

I sighed. "Yes, I know. But even if I'm exiled, you'll stick by me, right?"

"Of course. You're my friend. I'll even teach you how to hunt. But, you need to tell Caspian, no matter what consequences may await you."

"Just give me a few minutes to rest. If you had raced after an incredibly quick eleven-year-old, you'd be tired too."

"Just keep watching. Who knows how quick they could get here."

"Alright."

I watched, but eventually, my mind strayed to other topics. My parents came to mind. Were they working with those people who were after me? What was that science group called? The what-Borne Science something? But they were coming for the community; I had to do something.

I flapped my wings, but then stopped. It took all the energy I had to move them just that little bit. Dang; I must've been going really fast.

"You were. How you managed to keep up with the boy going that fast astonishes me. But you need rest. That's what it looks like to me."

"But what about the community of shifters? Why can't I just heal and go?"