Anderson nods weakly and closes his eyes while I do the same. Healing is complicated. I’m don’t have the natural predisposition to heal. I’m not gentle enough. But that hasn’t stopped my mum from trying to teach me. I can mend simple wounds. Whatever Anderson is undergoing is definitely above me. I can lessen his pain though.

With the utmost concentration, I do exactly what I was thought. The balance of powers and the envisioning of the healing lights all come naturally to me. After what must have been ten minutes of healing, I’m exhausted! I can’t go on.

I open my eyes, peering down at my old friend with regret. I wish I could help him more, but I can’t. My body feels weak and my vision is slightly blurry. This is why I hate healing. I always feel weak after! And I know it’s stupid to make myself vulnerable, especially now, but what else could I do? I have a feeling that had I not done something, Anderson wouldn’t have been able to hang in there any longer.

Anderson’s eyes flutter open. He still looks weak and pale, but there’s slightly more spark in his eyes. He seems to be in less pain too.

               “Emily, I need you to take Anderson back to Persephone! Get him to a healer. Quickly,” I instruct, my voice slurring a little.

               “But Haden...we can’t just leave,” she murmurs helplessly.

And then it hits me! Emily and Anderson could have disapparated back to Persephone with barely any notice. They’ve only remained here to protect everyone else.

               “No. Go! We’ll take it from here,” I whisper, giving her a nod.

She stills looks less then certain but as a low moan escapes Anderson’s lips, Emily quickly makes up her mind. In the next instant the both of them have disappeared and it’s only Matt, Alex and I in the room.

               “Where’s this Callum guy and Jessy?” Matt wonders out loud.

               “I don’t know. But I sense Carter in the room,” I murmur.

I get back to my feet unsteadily and shuffle towards the bathroom. Alex and Matt trail behind me, both on high alert. If whatever I saw was even partially true, Carter isn’t going to be in any state to try anything stupid.

I throw the bathroom door open. Carter’s lying on his side in the foetal position. He’s still breathing. Shallowly, but he’s alive. I kneel down beside him and turn him over. His face is bloody and he’s basically unconscious.

               “Did Emily and Anderson leave already?” Callum’s already familiar voice drifts towards me, making me jump up in shock. I whirl around only to find him holding Jessy securely by his side as he watches me, grinning. “I’m assuming you already know my name and what I am, prince.”

               “I do. Neat little ability you have there. Must be pretty uncommon for a wraith to have such a trivial and passive power,” I spit.

               “Half an hour ago, you didn’t think it was passive as you watched your friend die. Would it change your mind if I made you watch it a second time? This time for real?” he threatens easily.

               “How is it even possible that you’re alive?!”Alex growls, losing all his patience.

               “Ah, the general. You were there at the massacre. How many women and children did you single handedly kill oh mighty hero!” Callum smirks coldly.

               “None of them were innocent. Wraith’s are abominations. Mistakes. I merely did what was right. I took care of the mistake,” Alex spits snidely.