One

Scott's POV

"Scott, you start today at 5:30pm. In the meantime while you wait, you can check the list of the patients you will be taking care of." Kevin said smiling at me as he handed me the list of the patients.

I still think the idea of me actually being a nurse, is kinda weird. I wasn't looking forward to working at a hospital, this was just a summer job. But I just liked the idea of helping kids with cancer. This hospital was for kids with cancer from ages 12 and under. The other hospitals for older people is far. I didn't want to take a 13 hour drive for a summer job, I could just easily work at K-mart instead!

I looked at the list of the kids I will be taking care of for the next two months of summer. I had three in which two were a 11 year old girl, and a 9 year old boy who both have leukemia. The third one was a 16 year old boy, which I found kinda weird since this was a kids' care center. It says that he has Osteosarcoma.

----

After a few minutes of checking in and wondering around the place, I met with some other nurses my same age who were all assigned different things. Kirstie was assigned to bring food to the patients, Avi had cleaning duty, and Alex was the activities man. We were all talking and goofing around until it was time to take care of the patients.

I walked to a room where there were Elmo and Cookie Monster posters, and anything childish and colorful. All my patients had gathered together to meet with me. The girl was sitting in a wheelchair, the boy was hairless, and the older dude looked completely normal. Like, he had dark brown hair, perfect posture, but he was kinda pale and skinny.

"Okay everyone! I'm Scott Hoying, and I will be your nurse for the next few months. I want to get to know you all one by one. I will call you up, and you have to say you're name, age, and a little fact about you, I'll go first. My original name is Scotland, yes like the country, but my friends call me Scott. I'm 17 years old and a little fact about me is that I sing like a pro." I said confidently making the two kids smirk. The other one was just looking down at his hands the whole time without looking up at me.

"I'm Shelley. I'm 12 years old and a fact about me is that I LOVE pizza!" She said with a smile on her face. She was quirky, and I liked that.

"I'm Shawn, I'm 9 years old and a fact about me is that I met Christina Aguilera." He said smirking. I turned towards the older kid.

"How about you?" I asked, but he didn't look up at me. "Look, I know is hard being here and all, but I'm here to-"

"To make us feel better? We are going to die Scott." He said finally looking up at me and stating that as if he didn't believe he could make it alive. "We all have cancer. One Type different and stronger than the other. I have fucking Osteosarcoma! I have been here for five years, and I never progress! I know I will die first. Then Shelley, and then Shawn. Is just a matter of time."

I couldn't believe what this kid was saying. Is like he doesn't want to live anymore. Like something sucked his soul out of his body, and all there's left of him, is his soulless body just making up negative words. "Is not like that. It doesn't have to be. If you give me a chance, I can-"

"I'm done with that bull shit Scott." He said standing up and leaving.

"Don't worry, he always says that. Every time someone comes to help him, he says the same thing." Shelley said looking down. "Do you think we're going do die soon?"

"No. I have hope for you guys. Including negative-pouty-mouth over there." I said looking at the door on which he had left.

"He used to be nice to me. When I was 10 and he was 14. I used to look up to him, well, until he started to act like this. He just kept repeating things like 'God hates me" and such. It makes me feel so sad, and I feel like he's right. Maybe it is too late for all of us-"

"No it's not!" I said as I soon felt tears coming out of my eyes. I really felt bad for all of them. Like I've known them forever and it was like I was about to lose a family member. I tried to calm down so they wouldn't notice the pain in my eyes. I took a deep breath and let out a long sight while my eyes were closed. I soon opened them, "I'll tell you what, tomorrow we will go to my school. They have all sorts of fun stuff."

They just smiled and nodded. I chose the school as my first trip because that's where I met Mr.Armstrong, a guidance counselor who helped me through my whole life. He knows how to talk to people like Mitch. I know he will do something good for him like he did to me.

----

It was already 6:27 and I had to help Kirstie pass out lunch. As we walked to May different rooms, she told me about the kids she used to take care of. She also told me that it was hard for her too when she was in my position. She even cried at some cases, but that only made her stronger in a way.

The evening was going well, that was until we got to room 109, where the same guy from before was. He was smiling as he saw Kirstie walk in. It was the first time I ever saw him smile today, and he had a beautiful smile too. He had a cute set of dimples. Then his smile faded away when he saw me. "How is my favorite angel doing?" She asked smiling at him.

"I guess good? I don't know. I had another dream about..." He said stopping as he looked at me. I knew that was my exit point.

"I'll leave." I said walking out of the room.