Chapter 33: Homecoming

Kit

Although it was already Summer, Kit wasn't warm in the slightest as she stood uneasily on the dock, wedged uncomfortably between Mrs.Gaskarth and Quinn. The sun was being overpowered by dark clouds today, and Kit could sense a Summer storm coming. It was a little ironic how the weather was matching the atmosphere on the dock.

"Something's not right." Quinn said roughly, her voice low and husky. She had been smoking non-stop since Alex had left. Her pink hair looked washed out, and the usual smirk that tugged on her lips was absent. It was so depressing, that every time Kit looked at her, she felt any trace of happiness that was left in her getting sucked right of her body and tossed down a metaphorical drain of sadness.

"Something's definitely not right." Quinn echoed, her black painted fingernails digging into her palms. Kit turned to look at Jack and realised he was frowning into the distance too. It made her anxious, but she found herself forcing her head to look out onto the horizon anyway.

Upon seeing what Quinn and Jack were frowning at, Kit felt like frowning herself. The ship that was sailing towards the harbour was most definitely not the S.S. Primrose that had whisked Alex and Cam away from her. The ship sailing towards them was hardly a ship at all, and was more like a boat. It looked awful, like it had been built hastily, and the sail had little holes all over it. Six men were on the deck using large oars to help row the boat along.

Kit looked to her left and saw Rian looking out through a pair of binoculars. His lips were set in one thin line that didn't exactly radiate any sign of elation either.

"He's not on deck." Rian said, his voice hard. Beside her, Mrs.Gaskarth swallowed.

"He's probably in a cabin or something. Perhaps he's packing his belongings?" Minnie piped up, resting her chin on Quinn's shoulder. Quinn shut her eyes and sighed through her nose.

"Let's hope." she murmured, keeping her eyes closed.

Kit couldn't look at her, so she shifted her gaze to look at the choppy waves of the sea.

It didn't calm her one bit. Whoever said that the sounds of the sea were calming and soothing, obviously didn't have a boyfriend who was shipped off to war. The blue was somewhat too dark, more grey than blue. Even though she knew that the sea actually reflected off the sky, it was a shame that it couldn't be a pretty shade of blue all the time.

When the waves began to calm down, and the sea began to still, Kit knew that the ship had docked. She didn't look up, nor did she move in the slightest bit as the crowd of people surged towards the boardwalk. Something told her that it would be a waste of time.

"Jesus-fuck."

She looked up and stared at Quinn, who had finally opened her eyes and was staring wide-eyed at the docked ship.

"There's only twenty of them on there!"

Mrs.Gaskarth burst into tears beside her.

Kit stared expressionless at the soldiers who were departing from the ship.

All she needed to see was a tuft of chestnut hair, a boy with tattooed arms and dark hazel eyes. Someone who slouched slightly when they walked, someone who had promised that he'd come home...

"Why is the door closing?" whispered Jack as the last soldier in the line jumped down onto the dock.

"Alex isn't out yet! There must be some mistake!" he yelled frantically, eyes wide and worried.

He turned to Quinn, but Quinn was on the ground, her head tucked between her knees and her hands pressed against her ears, as if there was a deafening sound around them.