Chapter 14: High Climber Gaskarth

Alex

He wasn't sure if he had arrived a little early as he pulled outside Kit's house, Stella's engine purring surprisingly healthy that morning, which was always a good sign.

It was about midday, but--what if she wasn't even up yet?

He wasn't really one of those teenagers who liked to stay in bed half the day. He enjoyed mornings, but he wasn't sure if Kit felt the same way.

He was about to find out anyway.

He yanked the keys out of Stella and jumped out, feet landing with force as he hit the ground, his converse getting covered with sediments of Autumn soil that was blowing in the low breeze.

With baby steps, he slowly made his way to Kit's front door and rang the doorbell once, not wanting to overdo it. (He didn't really want to sound too eager).

But instead of the rush of footsteps and extreme movement he had expected (and secretly hoped) to hear, he heard silence, no sign of life coming from inside the house.

Strange, Alex thought to himself. He didn't want to sound in anyway cocky, but Kit had seemed to be excited about their day out today last night (he wasn't ready to call this a date yet), and well, she would't have stood him up.

Would she?

After about another five minutes of absolute silence, Alex decided to ring the doorbell again, dreaded thoughts filling his head.

What if she had injured herself after he had left her home last night?

What if she had slipped on her porch steps and had knocked herself out, and a neighbour had to take her away?

What if she was in trouble?

But soon enough, Alex found out that it was none of the above, because suddenly the little mail slot she and in her door popped open, but when he crouched down, no eyes peeped out to greet him.

"Alex?" a sniffling voice asked.

"Kit? Are you okay?" he asked immediately, knowing by her tone of voice that something was up.

"I'm...I'm fine. Listen....about today....I've changed my mind." she whimpered, and Alex felt his heart smash into a million little pieces.

"What?" he asked, confusion and a little bit of a crippling sadness settling on him.

She had changed her mind? Had the kiss been so bad that she was too embarrassed to even be around him anymore? Had his breath smelled bad?

No, she had stated he'd tasted like cookies.

But what if she didn't like cookies?

He ran a hand through his hair.

"Do you want me to pick you up later? We can go to the Rink--"

"Alex, please just go away." she said roughly, but her breathing was heavy, and she sounded like she was crying.

"Kit--"

"I don't want to talk to you right now."

And then slam! the mail slot was closed and Alex was left with his back against the door, his heart crushed as he was left to ponder how the fuck did he mess this one up.

~

Kit

She sobbed quietly as her back slid down the door and she hugged her legs close to her body, curling herself up like an armadillo.