Chapter 10: The Adventures Of Stella And The Two Explorers

Kit

Kit had never really liked sports.

The idea of watching sweaty guys in tights running around on a pitch, chasing a ball for, what felt like, hours on end, had never really appealed to her.

But now, with Cam being a part of the Marigold High team, she didn't really have the nerve to tell him that she would rather not go to a game at nine o'clock at night.

She felt the air turning bitter as the sun disappeared over the hill, and the ref blew whistle, kicking off the game.

"Aaaaand Marigold High takes possession!" yelled Max, the commentator (who was in her bio class and always tried to chat her up).

Kit shifted uncomfortably in her seat, squinting as the pitch lights were turned on, trying her best to spot Cam. He had told her he was number two, but they all looked the same.

"Aaaaand it's a touchdown for Marigold!"

The crowd jumped up and roared in unison, making Kit spill her popcorn.

"Shoot." she muttered under her breath as she stared down at the buttery mess on the floor.

"Now I have to get another one." she complained, getting up and searching around for one of the freshmen carrying around the boxes of food.

She climbed up about five of steps before she reached a guy in a wiener hat his back turned as he clutched the box around his shoulders.

She tapped his back and the guy turned around.

"Alex?" she exclaimed, eyes wide in shock, staring at the grunge kid in a wiener hat.

Alex flashed a nervous smile at her, his eyeliner thicker tonight, a stud instead of a ring in his nose.

"Kit! Fancy seeing you here." he said awkwardly, looking embarrassed to be caught in a wiener hat.

"Alex, this is a loser job." she murmured quietly, giving him a nervous look.

He sighed and nodded in agreement, the sausage bouncing on his head.

"I figured, but I needed the extra cash because I'm planning on taking Stella out for a drive after this." he said, his voice hushed.

"She's low on gas."

Kit looked over her shoulder and sighed.

"Who offered you this job?" she asked worriedly, afraid that Drew had set him up.

"Zack." he said, but his voice sounded serious.

Kit bit her lip.

"Listen Alex, Zack hangs around with Drew a lot. This could be a prank-"

"It's not." Alex said, shaking his head vigorously, the sausage moving with it.

"Hey wiener boy!" jeered a voice from one of the far stands.

Kit watched in horror as somebody threw a hot dog at Alex's back, but Alex just sighed.

"You should probably go. I don't want them throwing food at you too." he said nervously as a bucket of popcorn was suddenly dumped over his head, and laughter erupted from a few seniors.

"Alex--"

"Go. I can handle them." he said, his eyes sad, and Kit felt her throat run dry and a question creep up onto her lips.