Chapter 24: Broken, Beaten And Defeated

Kit

Alex knocked on her door at exactly 7:49 am, eleven minutes earlier than he usually did, and she was still eating her lucky charms when he had rocked up to her door.

She invited him in anyway, and she laughed when she saw he was wearing pink fuzzy earmuffs.

Very punk-rock of him (sarcasm intended).

"Nice ear muffs." she had said when he had brushed off the snow from his shoulders and had stepped inside.

"They're my mom's. I couldn't find my beanie, and she wouldn't let me leave the house with my ears exposed to the cold." he groaned, kissing her nose before they headed to the kitchen. His lips were chapped and cold from the bitter weather, but she couldn't care less.

After only turning nineteen a few weeks ago, Alex had taken a stretch and could hardly fit in the door. He looked slightly older too, although, he just couldn't quite ditch the eyeliner yet (which was a hundred percent perfect for her. She liked his eyeliner. It made him look cool).

Only three bombings had occurred over the holidays, and things were going fine for everyone. Although, Cam had started to ignore her a lot. Simple things like ignoring her when she passed him in the street, not returning her phone calls.

It didn't really bother her too much, but it hurt a tiny bit. She suspected he was slightly jealous of her and Alex.

Kit sighed as she poured the remains of her cereal down the sink as Alex perched himself up on her table.

"I don't really want to go back to school. Finals will be coming up soon." she said depressingly, rinsing her bowl off.

"Finals will be nothing to worry about, Kit. You'll do fine." Alex said earnestly.

She highly doubted that. Even though Alex had helped her study a bit of English during Winter vacation, it hadn't really done her much good.

"How's your mom?" Alex asked suddenly, noticing her depressing mood and obviously deciding to change the subject swiftly.

A smile cracked onto her face.

"Good. She's been calling more frequently now. Says that she can't really go anywhere in London because it's under serious security. But she's enjoying it." Kit rambled.

Alex nodded approvingly, remembering their talk that they had about her parents around New Years Eve.

"That's nice."

He watched her as she grabbed her winter coat from the cupboard under the stairs.

"What?" she asked as she shrugged it on.

"Nothing. Just reminding myself that you're actually my girlfriend, and that this isn't a dream." he said, sounding incredibly cheesy.

"What love poems have you been reading lately?" she teased as he hopped off the table and plodded over to her.

"W.B. Yeats. He's Irish. Wrote lots of love poems for a women who didn't love him." Alex said, reaching under the stairs for her scarf, wrapping it around her neck carefully.

"Tragic." Kit said, shoving her hands into her mittens.

"Quite. But I wouldn't be able to relate." he said, slipping his hand into hers.

"Wonder why?" Kit asked, a smirk on her face at the rhetorical question.

"Now that, Kit Parker, is a question with an answer that you already. know."

~

Alex

School went by horrifically slow, and most of the time he found himself counting down the minutes until it was lunch time so he could be with Kit.