Chapter 15: Protection Is The Key Word

*please note that the war in this is completely fictional, not factual. Whether a war similar to this happened between the same countries/areas at the same time in reality is highly coincidental*

Kit

The first news of the war spread through the town of Little Brier like wildfire.

Whispers of enlisting and how gas masks were to be bought filled the streets, echoed in the halls of Marigold, and seemed to haunt everyone that had experienced past wars.

But by the sounds of it, it was getting very serious.

Sure, Kit had known that in Europe, trouble had been brewing there for quite sometime, but it had never occurred to her that America would have been stirred into the boiling pot of disaster.

Fathers and older brothers were already signing up (according to Alex who was driving her to school in Stella, both of them discussing the war as Black Sabbath blared through his car radio).

"It's crazy. I heard some countries are thinking of bombing us now that we've become involved." Alex sighed irritably as he tapped the steering wheel thoughtfully.

"I mean, why drag America into it? If you ask me, we're wasting our time. Plus, I'd never enlist myself in the army. Why would I want to be shipped off to a war to shoot at men who've never done anything bad to me in my entire life? For all I know they could have girlfriends, families, friends...." he trailed off and stared wistfully ahead as he pressed down on the gas harder.

"I know it's man's job to fight for his country, but what they do over there is barbaric. Trenches, blitzkrieg, now heavy bombing? It's mental."

Kit leaned her head against Alex's foggy window, still tired from lack of sleep. She just nodded in agreement as Alex gave her a searching look, but when he saw her tired expression, his ranting stopped and a gentle look fell over his face.

"Still not quite awake yet?" he asked, and she nodded. He leaned over and kissed her cheek.

"Well, we're here. I'll see you in English." he said, and she stretched her arms before jumping out of Stella, leaving Alex behind. They had agreed that it was the best for both of them not to be seen getting out of Stella together, as it would result in both of them being targeted by Drew (which didn't actually bother her, but Alex was concerned about putting her in 'harm's way').

She tapped her cheek, a part of it still warm from where Alex's lips had touched it moments ago.

She sighed as she thought about her and Alex.

What were they, exactly?

Labeling Alex as her boyfriend felt wrong because, heck, Alex was a lot more than that. He wasn't a boyfriend, fuck, he was so much more.

She just couldn't explain it.

She pushed the problem out of her mind and started to walk, not wanting to be late.

Fresh rain had fallen last night, which made the pavement glow in a way that wasn't quite bright, but rather dull, reminding Kit that she had a day of cheerleaders and the 'new' Cam ahead of her, and worst of all, no contact with Alex.

No contact with Alex.

Fuck it.

~

Alex

During English, Alex realised that Kit couldn't spell the word 'Clandestine.'

Also, she would tap her pencil off her knee if she was nervous.