Romeo And The Incubator

"Hey, incubator," Josh said as Maya approached the couch he was had been sitting on.

"Oh is that what I'm going by now?" Maya smiled as she flung herself onto the couch.

She was tired after her journey here and still slightly stressed out from meeting Jeffrey and Alison.

"Yeah, I thought it was appropriate. Want a smoothie? My treat," Josh asked, still standing.

"Uh, sure. Get me whatever," Maya answered.

He returned in no time and then Maya remembered she still wasn't sure what she was doing here.

"So, why'd you invite me here?" Maya asked as she sipped her drink.

"I just thought it'd be nice to hang out. You're a pretty cool kid, Maya," Josh told her.

"When did you figure that out?" Maya laughed.

"I don't know." Josh laughed.

"Why did you really ask me here?" Maya questioned.

"You know, I just want to make sure you have someone to talk to. I'm sure everyone pretty ticked off about this baby thing, but I don't really judge. I want you to know you can talk to me," Josh explained.

"Why do you care?" Maya scoffed.

"Because unlike you I've been through high school. I've known people in your situation and I know what it does to people," Josh said sincerely.

"I don't know if I buy that," Maya laughed.

"Whatever. Let's talk about something else. What did you do today?" he asked.

'I met with potential adoptive parents," Maya said.

"Heavy stuff for a Sunday. How'd it go?" Josh asked.

"They were actually pretty cool. We liked them," Maya admitted.

"We? Cowboy showed up?" Josh laughed.

"He didn't 'show up'. I wanted him there," Maya snapped.

"So where is he now? You tell him you were coming here?" Josh asked.

"No, and he had stuff to do today," Maya told him.

"So you think you found the right couple?" Josh questioned.

"I don't know. We're still thinking about keeping her," Maya explained.

"Dude, how are you gonna keep her?" Josh asked.

"We'll get jobs and stuff. Look, I don't know okay. Don't stress me out," Maya breathed.

"Sorry. How've you been feeling?" Josh said.

"Fine, I guess. I don't throw up nearly as often as I did at first. I just get tired and achey and I have to pee all the time. Speaking of which, be right back," Maya said as she stood up and waddled towards the bathroom.

She did have to go to the bathroom, but she also needed a minute to think. What was going on here? Josh inviting her to come talk to him? It was weird, but she kind of liked it. Her phone buzzed and she took it out of her pocket. It was a text from Lucas.

L: Back from the doc. Wanna come over?
M: Not feeling too great. Might just take a nap. Another time?
L: No prob :)

She couldn't see why she would bother telling Lucas about this little rendez-vous. She shocked herself by looking at the size of her belly in the mirror one last time before leaving the bathroom.

"So, what've you been up to? How's the college life treating you?" Maya asked casually.

"It's great. So much better than high school. You'll see some day," he smiled.

Maya felt ill as she imagined herself already being a mother before she reached college.

"Any girlfriends?" Maya smirked.

"Nope. Don't get me wrong, they're lining up for me. It's just that nothing's really gotten to the 'dating' stage," Josh explained.

"Well, I'm sure it's just a matter of time," Maya said with a slight sigh.

"Why? You still got a thing for me?" Josh prodded.

"Please. I've got a little person inside me. You are the least of my worries right now," Maya scoffed.

It was the truth, too. Up until today Maya's thought had been only of herself, Lucas, her daughter, and maybe Riley. That was it. But being here with Josh, talking like equals for the first time in forever, it was causing her thoughts to shift.

"So you're with the cowboy I guess?" Josh asked.

"Not really. It's just that we're having a baby. I mean we had that one night, and we've kissed a few times since then. But what's in a kiss, really? Not much. And most of those were just in the heat of the moment," Maya explained.

She hadn't realised until now, but she and Lucas really weren't anything other than co-parents to an unborn child. It's not like they'd ever talked about their relationship.

Maya finished her smoothie and told Josh she had to get home. Josh offered to walk with her, but he was headed over to Riley's for dinner. Riley's apartment was closer than Maya's, so really she was walking him home.

They chatted all the way there and when they reached the door Josh turned to face her.

"Thanks for the smoothie," Maya said.

"Thanks for the company," Josh replied.

They stared at each other for what felt like hours and Maya felt it coming. Before she knew it, she felt his hands on the small of her back and hers found their way to his shoulders. His lips pressed against hers and her heart skipped a beat.

They eventually broke apart and and Maya immediately thought of Lucas and felt guilty.

"I...I shouldn't have-" she started.

"What's in a kiss, really?" Josh smiled as he opened the door and slid inside.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
A/N: Joshaya or Lucaya? Leave a comment!