Sickening Truth

13 weeks pregnant

Maya was on her way to Riley's to tell her. She hadn't been feeling too sick now that she was in her second trimester, but today she'd felt like vomiting all day. It was almost 5 o'clock now. She'd told Riley she was coming over at 5 to get some help with her homework. As she walked, she tried to imagine how Riley would react. She couldn't bare the thought of it. She felt so guilty. Sure, Lucas and Riley weren't actually dating, but Maya knew how much Riley liked Lucas. She knew that all along and yet she still did what she did.

She stood outside Riley's door trying to decide whether or not she was going to be sick. She ran to a flower pot near the door and threw up. Then she stood up and knocked on the door before she could think twice. She stared down at her feet and remembered that in a few moths she wouldn't be able to see them. Today she was wearing leggings and an over-sized hoodie because hardly any of her jeans fit her anymore and her belly was a little noticeable through tight shirts. As thoughts of her growing belly ran through her head, the door swung open. It was Corey.

"Hey, Matthews," Maya said, trying to sound as normal as possible.

"Hi, Maya. Here to get some homework done?" Corey asked, letting her in.

"Well, you know me: work, work work," Maya joked as best she could.

She quickly made her way to Riley's bedroom. There Riley was, sitting on her bed, blissfully unaware of what was coming for her. She looked up at smiled at Maya.

"I'm so glad you came over! I feel like you've been really distant lately," Riley said.

Maya didn't know if she should jump right in and tell her or make small talk for a few minutes.

"Yeah, I've just been kinda busy I guess," Maya said vaguely.

"Well anyway, you wanna start with Science? I know you find chemistry pretty tough," Riley said.

You know what else I find tough? This conversation, Maya thought.

Maya tried to let Riley teach her but she and Riley both knew she wasn't listening. The only difference was Maya knew the reason why she couldn't pay attention.

"You know what? I can't do this," Maya cut in as Riley was in the middle of explaining an equation.

"Sure you can. I just haven't finished explaining it," Riley replied.

"No, Riley. I need to talk to you," Maya said louder than she meant to. Perhaps it was just the urgency of getting this secret she'd been hiding out.

Maya stood up and walked over to the window to sit down. Riley followed, confused.

"Riley I did something stupid," Maya began.

Riley stared at her, brows furrowed. She didn't say anything, so Maya was forced to keep going.

"Now, when I tell you this, you're gonna be really mad at me. Like, really mad. You're not gonna want to talk to me for a long time. But I just hope that you'll eventually find it in you to forgive me, because I don't think I can do this without you. I really don't," Maya was starting to cry now and Riley's face was full of concern.

"Come on, Maya. It can't be that bad. Just tell me," Riley said sadly.

She really has no idea, Maya thought. Should I start with I had sex, I had sex with Lucas, I'm pregnant, or I'm pregnant and it's Lucas's?

"Riley, I really messed up. I...I'm...I'm pregnant," Maya stumbled.

It took a second for Riley's expression to change. It went through a few emotions, but ended in a smile. A laugh, even. Maya couldn't believe her eyes.