Decided

Whatever you do, just don't start crying, Maya told herself. The subway ride seemed awfully short and so did the walk to the apartment building. She didn't feel ready, but she had to do this. It was better in person, she felt. It seemed the more mature thing to do.

She shook her head and knocked on the door. This time she had called ahead, so at least maybe they had an idea of what was coming.

"Hi, Maya. Come on in," Alison smiled.

"Thanks," Maya forced a smile.

"No Lucas today?" Jeffrey asked.

"No, we're in the middle of a disagreement at the moment," Maya explained.

"I'm sorry to hear that," Jeffrey said kindly.

They're being so nice, Maya thought. And I'm about to crush their hopes.

"Alright, I just need to say it. I've decided to keep the baby. I'm so sorry," Maya blurted.

They looked as though they had been expecting this, but nevertheless Alison looked grief-stricken.

"We understand, Maya. Thank you for considering us," Jeffrey said solemnly.

"I just don't think I can give her up. I know it might not seem like I know what I'm doing, but I feel like I need to at least try. I feel terrible and I wish there was something else I could do. If I ever have a friend who gets pregnant I'll be sure to tell her about you guys!" Maya said.

Jeffrey laughed and Alison gave a small smile.

"If it helps, you guys were. like, the perfect couple. I would've chosen you in a heartbeat," Maya told them.

Alison began to cry but Jeffrey took her hand and they both stood up. Maya stood up too.

"We wish you and your baby all the best, Maya," Jeffrey said.

Alison hugged Maya but didn't say a word. Maya understood. She wasn't angry, but she was still too upset to say anything.

Maya felt guilty and sad but still felt lighter after getting that done. Now she just had one last thing to do.

**********************************************************************************

Maya picked up the phone and pushed Lucas's contact. She got a flashback to the night she asked him over to tell him about the baby. That seemed so terribly far away now. But this would be different. She wasn't inviting him over, she wasn't looking for a conversation. She knew what she wanted to say and she was prepared to say it.

L: Hello?
M: Lucas, it's Maya. I was gonna text you but I had to know that you received this message. I've decided to keep my baby, with or without you. I have a job and the support of my mother and Riley's parents. I went to Jeffrey and Alison's today and told them. You're obligated to pay child support. We can work something out or I can go the legal route, but I really don't want to. It's your decision now. I won't stop you from being involved in her life, but I'm not gonna beg for your attention either. We can talk any time. Okay, bye.

And she hung up. That was all she wanted to say. She wondered if she'd been too harsh, but it was Lucas who started this whole fight anyway. It's not like they were dating, and she only met Josh for a smoothie. He had no right to be angry.

Maya walked back out into the living room.

"Maya! I have something to tell you. I talked to my manager and he said that once your baby's born I could take afternoons off to take care of her and work late nights instead. You could pick her up at daycare after school and take her here before work. It might be tricky and we'll have to see if it works out, but it'll save you money and she won't have to stay with strangers all day every day!" her mother told her excitedly.

"Wow, I don't know what to say. Thanks, Mom," Maya breathed.

This seemed too good to be true, but Maya thought she may as well go along with it for now.

Maya laid in bed that night and felt relieved for the first time in ages. It was decided. She was going to be a mother.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
A/N: HEY READ THIS so now that Maya's keeping the baby I think it'd be fun if you guys left name suggestions in the comments. I might not use them but if I see one I like you never know! Not just on this chapter, leave names on upcoming ones too if you want. Ok bye.