To The Principal's Office

38 weeks pregnant

It was Maya's last day of school and she was about ready to pop. She'd never felt more uncomfortable this frequently in her whole life. She'd had a doctor's appointment a week previous and they told her that it was no longer very safe for her to be wobbling around on crutches and that she now needed the wheelchair 24/7. Maya was actually a little relieved that she wouldn't have to drag her own weight around all the time. 

Lucas pushed her wheelchair most of the time, but sometimes Riley did it and if Maya was really stuck, she'd do it herself. Maya felt ridiculous being carted around and she did get a lot of stares, but there was nothing she could do. 

"Are you sure you don't want me to come in with you?" Lucas asked as he parked her in front of the principal's office. 

"Yeah, I'm sure. Besides, you don't think you two have seen enough of each other lately anyway?" Maya said with raised eyebrows. 

Lucas's face reddened. 

On Maya's first day at school after she got out of the hospital, Lucas had gotten in a fight with some other kid and almost got himself suspended. It was nothing serious, but he was still lucky to have gotten off easy. 

He was pushing Maya to class when someone looked at her foot injury and laughed with his friends. 

"What's that, a sex injury?" he chuckled, looking at both Lucas and Maya. 

And then Lucas went after him and Maya couldn't move or stop him or do anything. The kid only had a bruise on his cheek, but Lucas got in serious trouble for it. Maya told Lucas how he needs to not get so worked up by what other people say and just ignore them, but she wasn't particularly mad at him. She was offended by the comment too, and who knows what she would've done if she wasn't heavily pregnant and in a wheelchair at the time? 

"Yeah, I guess," Lucas muttered. "I'll wait out here though, okay?" 

"Okay," Maya smiled and then, with great effort, pushed herself through the doorway and into the office.  

The principal had asked her to stop by on her last day to talk about her school work and when she would be back. Maya hated the principal's office. No one ever has any good memories of being in the principal's office, and Maya was one of those people. 

"Hello Miss Hart," he said as Maya wheeled over to his desk. 

The chair that was usually across from his had been moved to allow her wheelchair to serve as the chair instead. 

"Hi, Sir," Maya said as politely as she could. 

"How are you doing?" he asked seriously.

"Apart from my broken ankle and the 90 pound baby inside me, I'm doing just fine thanks," Maya told him. 

He pursed his lips and continued. 

"So Miss Hart, you understand that you have 2 weeks off prior to your delivery and 2 weeks off  following you delivery, is that correct?" he asked.

"Yes, that is what I have heard," Maya answered. 

"Lovely. Now I understand you'll be busy when the baby arrives, but I still expect you to turn in any and all assignments you're given at home, alright?" he told her.

"Yes," Maya agreed. 

"Do you know who will be bringing you your assignments?" he questioned. 

"Probably either Lucas or Riley," Maya claimed. 

"Ah, yes. Now, will Mr. Friar be taking any time off from school when the baby comes?" the principal asked. 

"Maybe a few days, but I doubt it will be more than that," Maya explained. 

"Very well, Miss Hart. That's all I wanted to talk to you about. You may attend the rest of your afternoon classes, or you may go home now. You look as though you could go into labor any minute now, and you'd rather be at home I'm sure," he allowed. 

"Thank you, sir," Maya said. 

She turned herself around and made for the door. 

"Oh, and Miss Hart...er...congratulations," he said earnestly. 

Maya stopped wheeling but didn't bother turning all the way around again. 

"Thank you, Sir," she said before continuing out the door again. 

Lucas was waiting for her as he'd promised. 

"How'd it go?" Lucas asked. 

"It was fine. He said I can go home for the day. I think he thought my water was about to break all over his floor or something," Maya laughed. 

"Want me to take you home?" he asked. 

"Nah, I don't want you to miss any school. I'll stick around 'til the end of the day," Maya decided. 

They had four more classes and then the day was finished. Maya had had a thought in math class that it had been a while since she, Lucas, Riley and Farkle all hung out together. With that in mind, she suggested that they all go to Topanga's for coffee together after school. 

After all, she thought, this might be the last time it's just the four of us hanging out without a baby in-toe. 

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

A/N: I'd say only one more chapter until the delivery chapters! Agh! I'm pretty sure I have a name in mind, but I'm not 100% certain ;) I wanna talk to you guys about what I'll do when this is over. Sequel? Different fanfic? Nothing? Start the discussion in the comments and let me know what you would read if I were to write it :)