Pop

39 weeks pregnant

Maya stared out the window while she waited for Farkle. It was raining, as it so often did in late April. Unlike many others, Maya never minded the rain. She was never fond of umbrellas either, she preferred to just embrace the water. She watched as stylish women passed wearing designer rain boots and dashed from building to building trying not to let their hair get ruined. Maya had always loved April.

She spotted Farkle walking through the door and called for him. She'd just finished her shift at the movie theater and was itching to get home. She didn't want to go into labor here.

Maya was a week away from her due date and she was truly ready to burst. The doctors had been telling her that she probably would have delivered earlier if she weren't sitting in a wheelchair all day every day instead of walking around. She was terrified of giving birth, but she still wanted this baby out.

"How was work?" Farkle asked as he took the break off her wheelchair and started wheeling her outside.

"Awesome," Maya said sarcastically.

"You think you'll make it to 40 weeks?" Farkle asked.

"I don't know. It feels like she'd huge already. I don't see how she could possibly get any bigger," Maya told him.

He wheeled her along sidewalk after sidewalk. It was usually him or Riley that would pick Maya up from work. Lucas had a job now too, so he was working most afternoons. Maya felt bad making someone come to take her home every day, but they didn't seem to mind.

They were almost home when Maya decided she wanted a snack. Something crunchy, like chips or crackers.

"Can we go in here real quick?" Maya asked as they passed a drug store.

"Sure," Farkle replied.

Maya took no notice of what store it was, she was only focused on the chis she could see through the window. There were two smalls steps up to the door. Farkle hesitated, but eventually let Maya unclip her crutches from the side of the wheelchair and use them. He lifted the wheelchair up the steps after Maya hobbled up them. She slowly moved to the aisle she was looking for when she heard her name.

"Maya? Is that you?" she heard.

Maya turned around. It had come from the women behind the cash register. It took Maya a good 30 seconds, but then the memories came crashing back. Her eyes flitted to the corner of the store where she'd once spent the night. Then she glanced down the aisle where she'd grabbed the test that confirmed what she'd already known, and...yes, there was the bathroom door where she'd found out she was going to be a mother.

"Evelyn, hi," Maya said, flooded with her own memories.

"Well, would you look at you! You must be about ready to pop!" Evelyn exclaimed.

Maya's mind was elsewhere. She was remembering the sympathy in this woman's eyes when Maya had emerged from the bathroom red-eyed and clutching a pregnancy test in a shaky hand. What a sight it must have been, Maya thought. A slight 15 year old crying over a baby inside her that the rest of the world was oblivious to. And now the first thing anyone could notice about Maya was how huge her bump was.

"Yeah, I' due in a week," Maya eventually confirmed.

"Are you keeping the baby?" Evelyn asked.

"Yes, I am," Maya told her.

"Well that's great. I'm very happy for you," she smiled.

Maya was suddenly aware of Farkle's presence.

"Can you go get me those chips, please?" Maya asked him.

"Sure. Sit in the chair," Farkle told her as he walked away.

Maya ignored him. This was the longest she'd stood in weeks.

"What happened to you foot?" Evelyn asked kindly.

"I broke it. Fell down the stairs," Maya said, embarrassed.

"Wow. Well at least the baby's okay," she smiled.

"Yeah, she's all good," Maya smiled, rubbing her belly.

"She? It's a girl?" Evelyn asked.

"It's a girl," Maya laughed.

"That's awesome. Is he the father?" Evelyn nodded towards Farkle.

"No, no, no. He's just a friend," Maya laughed again.

Maya chatted to Evelyn for a few more minutes and then headed for the door. Farkle was paying for the chips when Maya felt it.

She looked down and saw that the front of her jeans were soaked.

"Farkle! Farkle get over here!" Maya called, trying to sound calm.

"What is it?" he asked, wheelchair and chips in hand.

Maya plonked herself into the chair.

"I think I just peed myself," Maya whispered.

Farkle looked at her pants and his eyes widened.

"Maya, what if that was your water breaking? Are you in pain?" Farkle asked quickly.

"No, not right now," Maya panicked.

Evelyn must have seen the commotion, because she came out from behind the counter to help.

"It looks like you're in labour, sweetheart. You better get to the hospital," she said calmly.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>A/N: I want there to be 3 delivery chapters in total, so hopefully two more after this. Still not sure what I wanna do after this, if anything. It's hard to believe that this fanfic is nearly at 40k views! It's amazing! Anwyay, that's all I wanna say. Next update will be Wednesday, then Friday and that should be the end. If there ends up being an extra chapter I'll post it next Saturday or Sunay rather than waiting until Monday. Okay, that's all.