Chapter 1- The New Kid

"Everyone, take your seats." Mrs. Jackson says.

I make my way over to my desk with the same smile plastered onto my face. I'm actually quite excited for the new school year ahead. It should be fun. I may be able to meet some new people.

I finally make it to the desk that I decide is mine. It's next to the window so I can look out whenever I please. It's quite nice, actually.

"Today we have a new student. His name is Phil Lester. Make sure that you make him feel welcomed." Mrs. Jackson informs us.

A boy with a haircut like mine, only ebony and a little longer with the fringe on the other side. His lips are stretched out into a small frown and I tilt my head to the side. He's wearing a black shirt, black skinnies, and black converse. His skin's pale with shining blue eyes. He looks somewhat like death with his choice of clothing.

I look down at my red t-shirt and sigh. Maybe I should start wearing more black. It may look good on me. My eyes look back up at Phil and his eyes scan the room, finally landing on me. Our eyes lock before he quickly looks away and I sigh.

"Phil, you can take a seat next to...Dan. He's the one in the corner next to the window." Phil's expression doesn't change a bit.

Phil walks over to my seat and signals for me to sit in another one. I raise my eyebrows but he keeps his stance. My smile fades and I move over to the desk next to me.

Okay, so, this Phil guy is very rude. I guess I can't blame him for wanting to sit next to the window. If I enjoy it, he must too.

"Hi, I'm Dan." I smile as he sits down.

Phil looks over at me with a annoyed look and rolls his eyes. My smile falters a bit so I look back up at the front of the classroom.

"I decided to start the new school year with a project!" Mrs. Jackson says with much enthusiasm.

Groans fill the room and I giggle to myself. Why do people hate projects so much? It gives you a chance to be creative with something.

"You will be working with the person sitting next to you." She adds.

Shit.

That's not what I wanted. My smile finally falls and I glance over at Phil, curious about his facial expression. As always, it's a frown.

"You'll have to create a piece of art with human emotion. Let it be sadness, happiness, anger, love." A few girls smile widely at the last word, "You'll have to use a color pallet that you feel works with the emotion of the painting. The project will be due in a few months so you have plenty of time to finish."

This project sounds quite fun and interesting. I know that I'll enjoy it...as long as Phil isn't the way he has been. I'm sure he'll warm up to me. It may just be because this is a new school and he doesn't know anyone or, it's because of a new school year in general.

"I'll allow you to discuss what you'll like to do for your project with your partner for the rest of the time since you'll be with me the whole day. Sound good?" Everyone nods, except for Phil.

What's his problem? I'll just try to make the best of it, I guess. I turn to Phil and he's already staring back at me. He instantly looks down at his hands.

"I guess we should start working on this." I say with my normal smile.

Phil nods, still not talking.

"Are you at least going to talk? I mean, I feel like we should learn more about each other before working on this project."

Phil finally looks back up at me, "We may have to work on this project together but, we won't be friends." He tells me.

"Oh come on. I'm not that bad."

"Then you obviously haven't heard yourself lately." Phil crosses his arms and looks back up at the front.

"Okay, fine. We won't be friends but, we will start working on this project. I'm not going to get a bad grade on it because you can't cooperate." I'm a bit mad now.

Phil smirks and looks back over at me, "Let's start on the project then. I want to do sadness for the project."

"I feel like we should do happiness."

"Maybe disgust then." He argues.

"Why are you always so sad and gloomy?"

"What's so wrong with being sad?"

"Everything."

Phil rolls his eyes, "You mind your own business, and I'll mind my own business."

I let out a loud, frustrated sigh and put my head on the desk. Why do we have to spend the whole day in homeroom? I'd do anything to go to another class right now.

"Dan, the reason why I don't want to do happiness is because I'm not used to that emotion, okay? I wouldn't know what to do at all. So, can we please do sadness?" I'm absolutely shocked with the words he just spoke.

I lift me head off of the desk and I can instantly see the regret in his eyes. I don't think he wanted to say what he just said. Does Phil truly mean it when he says that he's not used to happiness? That's awful. No one should ever feel like that...

"Okay. We'll do sadness, for now. We can always change it later down the road."

I notice Phil's lips twitch upwards and my smile widely spreads across my face. I know that my smile meets my eyes and they crinkle up.

"Why so happy all of a sudden?" Phil asks.

"No reason." I say.

-

I'M SO SORRY THAT THIS CHAPTER IS SO SHORT AND SHIT. I just have to get all of the REALLY boring stuff out of the way before I can get to the story line which is ACTUALLY planned out this time. I kinda just don't know how to execute this story...oops. I'll try to update a less crap chapter as soon as possible. -J