Chapter 12

Damon's P.O.V.

The weeks following the battle to free my mate are filled with restructuring and reorganizing the Council. And since I had taken Elder Simms' life, the position and responsibilities of doing so now fell to me.

The days are filled with endless meetings, revising of old laws and treaties, and appointing new Reigning Alphas to my old territory as well as to Alpha Landry's and Alpha McNeely's. And they are filled with long, agonizing nights of sitting awake for hours, thinking on the future and wondering what it now holds for my wolf and I.

I avoid the pity filled eyes of the gathered Councilmen as I look around the room. Most of the wolves here had fought along side me in the battle to save my mate and had killed a member of the former Council, therefore earning their positions at this table in the same manner I had. And most of the new Council had human mates that were now protected under the new laws, laws that will sentence any wolf to death for touching, harming, or killing a mated human and for imprisoning any who did the same to any other human.

The surviving councilmen, warriors, and guards that fought against us were given two options, go to prison or be put to death. If they chose prison, the wolves who were mated were allowed to have their mates incarcerated with them. If they chose death, then their mates were sentenced to death as well.

It seemed cruel to punish the mates as well, but in the end, the new Council agreed in doing so that the chance of retaliation against our packs and our mates would be greatly diminished and we would all be able to begin the healing process as well as rebuild our relationship with the humans.

Most chose prison.

The Councilmen that had chosen not to go to battle, along with their mates, were given the option of submitting to my wolf and I, prison, or death. They all chose submission.

"Our mate would be proud," my wolf states softly. It is the first time he has spoken since the battle.

"She would," I agree quietly.

"Elder Blackwell," I look into the knowing eyes of Mathis, "are you still with us?" he asks softly.

Realizing my thoughts were once again straying to my mate, I force myself to clear my mind and focus on what my most trusted and loyal adviser was saying. "Please continue Councilman."

Mathis gives a small smile as he turns back to the waiting Councilmen. "As I was saying, it has been two months since we stormed Carcere and now time has come for us to meet with the the human leaders. Myself and Elder Blackwell will be presenting the new treaty and going over the new laws.."

Mathis pauses as a commotion sounds from the hallway.

"I don't give a wolf's ass if he is in a meeting," the weakened voice hisses. "I want to see him. Now."

My breath hitches at the familiar voice.

Not thinking twice I stand forcefully and shove my seat into the wall behind me causing the Councilmen to choke on the concrete dust that begins to fill the room.

"Don't tell me to calm down you insolent beast. I want to see him, and I want to see him now."

I growl lowly as I stalk toward the door and fling it open. My wolf howls and claws at the back of my mind as the Councilmen leaves their seats and stand curiously behind me. As my eyes fall on the scene in front of me, my hands curl into fists at my sides and I let the now deep red color of my wolf's eyes flash, "Get. Your. Hands. Off. My. Mate."

Mae lifts her pale face toward me as the warrior holding her by the arms lets her go and steps away. As he quickly bows his head, Mae begins to crumple to the concrete floor and I curse myself for not realizing how weak she truly is and for not waiting until I was by her side to scold the warrior for touching her.