Chapter 10

Mae's P.O.V. -- Before Damon's Arrival

My father, Red, and I run down the corridor and toward the front entrance of Carcere. As guards began to appear in the connecting hallways, they growl lowly and slowly stalk toward us. 

"Can't you command them?" Red asks as he violently shoves an advancing wolf into the wall, causing a cloud of concrete dust to rain down on us.

My father shakes his head, "They are under the command of the Elder Councilmen. My wolf is dominant, but not dominate enough to break their influences. We will have to fight our way out."

"What then? We don't have the numbers to get her out alive," Red states furiously.

My father looks over his shoulder at my faithful guard, his eyes twinkling like a child with secrets. "We have enough," he states simply as he ducks and swipes his massive paw across a burly guard's throat. 

The guard howls out in pain and slumps to the floor as his blood runs down his chest and pools beneath his crumpled form.  He had gotten close, too close.

"Can you two have this conversation later and pay attention to the wolves trying to rip me to shreds?" I shriek as a third wolfin guard begins to shift and lunge.

Red pulls me into his chest and tucks me into a ball as my father reaches out and catches the large brown wolf around the chest. His massive arms squeeze together until the wolf's rib cage is nothing more than internal splinters and I don't know whether I should be proud of my father's strength or sickened by his ability to kill without a hint of regret. 

"I do regret it Mae," he answer my unspoken question softly as he reaches for my hand once more. "But I will do whatever I must to ensure your survival."

My eyes portray the bewilderment I feel at him being able to seemingly read my mind.

"Being that your wolf was sacrificed for the greater good, for now, you still retain a part of her spirit within you. I, as well as Damon, can feel your emotions through our bonds with you."

I skid to a stop as three more wolves appear in front of us, trying to decipher what my father meant by for now, until Red lets out a low warning growl and snatches me out of my father's grasp. "Mine," he hisses and wraps his arms around me as he eyes the three guards.

My father's growl, however, is thunderous and warns the three men of their impending death if they choose to advance. 

"Councilman Hughes," the shorter, stockier man drawls out. "Why am I not surprised to see you here?" he taunted. 

"Councilman Barnes," my father hisses. "Why am I not surprised to see you here?" he mocks. 

"Because it is my duty to eradicate the humans, mated or not, from existence."

My father shakes as his wolf begs to be release and grits his teeth as he ask, "You dare go against the treaty?"

"The humans started this war long ago. It was they who wanted to eradicate us, or does your love of humans cloud your memory as well as your loyalties?"

"My love and loyalties are none of your concern at the moment," my father states tersely as he stands defensively in front of me.

"But aren't they? You are risking your life for an unmated human female; my only question is, why?"

I cannot take the banter between the two wolfin men any longer and stand on my tip toes as I eye the Councilman. "There is always more than meets the eye Dip-shit," I spit and struggled to pull out of Red's hold, "or didn't your bitch ever tell you that?"