Prologue

"Is it true," Elder Jones asked quietly.

"I'm afraid so," the messenger replied as he handed the elder a sealed letter. "Paxton executed three rogues."

"But they violated the treaty first by entering populated lands," Elder Minx stated flatly. "Paxton had the right to protect his people."

"The treaty clearly states that rogues are to be held in confinement and the local Alpha called in to deal with them." Everyone turned to look at Elder Rosen as she spoke softly, "Paxton violated the treaty in a far worse way than the rogues did."

"So now the rest of the human race has to pay?" Elder Minx asked angrily.

"Imprisonment and/or death of all humans is the punishment for violating the treaty," Rosen replied quietly. "We all agreed to the terms."

Elder Minx scoffed, "You all agreed to the terms. If I recall correctly, some of us voted to fight the wolves for control of the land our ancestors once ruled."

"We all know how that would have ended," Elder Jones replied. He turned to the messenger, "How far out are they?"

The messenger grimaced. "I saw a pack of them as I came through a day ago. They were camped at the river's edge."

Elder Jones sighed as he pinched the bridge of his nose and looked over the room. "Send word out to the villagers. Those that are willing to fight against the wolves should gather with their weapons in the square. Those that aren't should leave immediately." He scanned the room of elders once more, "May the Fates be with us all."

* * * * * * * * * *

Mae's P.O.V.

"Mae! Please wake up baby girl."

My mother's soft but urgent voice sent chills through my tiny body.

"Momma, what's wrong?" I asked as I sat up and rubbed at my eyes.

"We have to go. The wolves are attacking."

"But we didn't do anything to them. The treaty.."

I may have just been ten years old, but as my mother had told me more than once, I knew more about things than I should have. I would have to agree as I would listen to the adults of our village talk animatedly among themselves, ignoring the girl lurking in the shadows, a.k.a. me. On more than one occasion, however, I had been caught and escorted home by one of the elders.

"No, no we didn't. But one of the other villages did," she interrupted softly.

My eyes widened and I bit back my tears. I didn't want to die today. "So they are going to punish us all?"

My mother's voice broke as she pulled a backpack from under my bed, ignoring my question, "Did you pack everything I told you to?"

I looked to the pack that had sat under my bed for the last year.

"Yes Ma'am. I rechecked all the supplies just the other day and changed out the clothes and shoes that were too small," I answered, my voice quivering as I spoke.

"Good girl." My mother's eyes filled with unshed tears, "I'm going to do everything I can to keep them from getting to you Mae."

I simply nodded as my mother pulled me into her arms, kissing the top of my head as loud growls sounded around the village.

"Quickly Mae."

I didn't have time to protest as Mother pushed me up and toward the hidden door in my closet as screams of terror and voices begging for mercy filled the air. I silently cursed the wolves as I listened to my friends' cries die out as they took their last breaths and shuddered as a thunderous boom rocked our small home.