Chapter 4

Mae's P.O.V.

The screams continue throughout the night as I lay curled into a ball in my cell. I cannot get Red's words out of my mind no matter how much I try as they play over and over like a broken record.

"Sometimes you have to question what you were taught to believe Mae and do what is best for the greater good."

I think back to the day I first arrived here and tick off what I recall -

One - Red had volunteer to be my guard when no other wolf would look my way.

Two - He had been the one to stand against the Council on my behalf when they called for my immediate death.

Three - He had been the one to sneak me sugary sweets during my monthly cravings.

Four - He had been the one to make sure that I received medical care when I had become ill.

Five - He had been the one to make sure I received a hot meal, a hot bath, and clean garments.

Six - He had been the one to make sure that I kept a level head when I felt myself going mad.

Red had done all of this and so much more in a way that no one would suspect his true intentions.

But what were his true intentions? Was he loyal to Damon? To me? What is the greater good?

I sigh and roll to my back as I look to the plain drab grey ceiling of my cell. Its oppressiveness is like the weight of the questions I now ponder. I know without a doubt if the Council finds out that if Red is loyal to Damon or myself, then he will be executed in front of me as a warning to others who might be as well.

Glancing upward, I begin to watch as the rays of the morning sun creep over the lone skylight above me. The sight makes my soul ache for the freedom I once had and I find myself sitting up, craning my neck as I follow the beam of light as it slowly disappears and another takes its place.

Red's amused voice breaks the tranquil silence, "Mae, it's your bath time."

I hold a lone finger to my lips and stand on my mattress as I fight to feel the sun's warmth, "Sh."

When I had first arrived to Carcere, I had been allowed outside, separate from the rest of the females of course, for a hour each day and had lived each day just for that hour of constrained freedom, for that hour of feeling the warm sun, cool rain, or bitter cold snow on my golden brown skin. However, as I grew older, the Council had become so paranoid that Damon would come for me they banished me to a life sentence inside the drab wall of this hellish prison.

But I had known better than to put any faith in their beliefs; he wasn't coming for me. I was just a human after all.

I hear the familiar clang of my cell door opening over the quieting screams that have filled most of the last day and a half. "Mae. Come on. You know I can't wait on you forever." Red walks over to my bed and grasps my wrist. I look to my faithful guard and scowl as he tugs me downwards, his tone scolding, but his eyes understanding as he continues softly, "Another time Mae."

I nod reluctantly and jump from the bed. "How many?"

I know Red understands what I am asking and as he shakes his head, he gives a low sigh, "I don't know. The Council hasn't released the numbers yet, but from what I have heard from some of the males that had gathered, they are going to be higher than previous Presentings."

"Why?" I ask quietly as I allow Red to shackle my wrist and ankles. I know it will be no use in fighting against it. I had tried that, on more than one occasion, and my efforts had always ended up with me being viciously pinned against a wall or thrown to the floor before I was tranquilized and hauled to solitary for days on end.