“Yes,” Nico responded.

            “Oh, I knew this day would come!  And thank God it came when it did!” Aunt Jodi exclaimed.

            “Aunt Jodi…stop,” I pleaded.

            “No, Ella, let her have her moment,” Nico said slyly, looking at me out of the corner of his eye and grinning.

            I kicked Nico under the table lightly as Aunt Jodi stared cooing more.  For added effect, Nico decided to lean over and plant a kiss on my cheek with an evident smack.

            “So sweet,” Aunt Jodi said dreamily, and I could tell she was trying to be cheesy as she laid her hand on top of Mike’s.  “And since we’re all sharing here, we kind of have an announcement too.”

            “Oh God please don’t say you’re pregnant,” I moaned, placing my forehead in my hands.  Mike laughed, a deep throaty chuckle.

            “God Ella no,” Aunt Jodi breathed.  “You’re quite enough in terms of kids.”

            “Oh thank heavens,” I praised, a hand on my chest in relief.

            “No, actually, why don’t you see for yourselves,” Aunt Jodi said.  With that, she held up her left hand and wiggled her fingers, flashing a diamond ring at Nico and I.

            “You’re engaged?!” I exclaimed.

            “Yes!” she half-squealed, half-said.

            “Who’s the lucky man?” Nico joked.

            “Oh please Nico,” Aunt Jodi said, giving him a joking little punch on the arm.

            “Kidding.”  Nico smiled.  “Congratulations.”

            “Have you set a date yet?” I asked.

            “Well, Mike and I figured that there was no use in waiting too long, considering how long we’ve been together, so we’re thinking of next spring,” Aunt Jodi said with a smile.

            “That’s wonderful!” I exclaimed.  Truly I was happy for them.  I was glad Aunt Jodi was finally settling down, even if she and Mike had been together for so long.

            “And Ella, I want you to be my maid of honor,” said Aunt Jodi.

            “Really?”

            “Of course!  Who else do you think I’d ask?” Aunt Jodi said jokingly.

            “Thank you,” I told her, getting up and crossing to where she sat to wrap my arms around her shoulders in an awkward sort of hug.

            “I love you Ella,” Aunt Jodi said, rubbing my arm.

            “Love you too,” I told her, squeezing a little harder.

            “Oh, and Nico,” Mike interjected, “would you want to be one of my groomsmen?”

            “Actually?” Nico exclaimed.  I could see that he was not expecting it.  Mike shot Nico a reassuring grin.  “Actually.”

            “Of course,” Nico replied. 

            “This evening has turned out better than I had hoped!”  Aunt Jodi seemed quite pleased.  “Three big announcements in one night; I’d say that’s an accomplishment that deserves a toast.”