Chapter 14 - Just a Little Longer

Start from the beginning

Her eyes greedily looked it over before moving onto the rest of the penthouse.

It looked exquisite compared to the slum she was currently living in, with stylish sofas, dusty electric lights and an actual, clean mattress! Well, clean enough, at least - there weren't any brown stains and where she was that was considered luxury in itself.

Leah also saw the rest of the seemingly pointless furniture stacked up against the only other door in at the front. This one had no holes in it as she had known and amazingly still held after all this time.

"It's..." She didn't know what she was about to say. No words came out in her utter fascination.  

"A dump, right?" His voice thick with sarcasm.  

"No... No way, how'd you get a place like this!?"  

"My dad, remember? He hid us out here since a year or so ago."  

"Wow. This place is awesome!" She dumped her bag on the sofa.  

"Yeah, and-"  

Ryan!  

He turned around, and there he was. His little brother, with the same blond hair as their dad and eyes that his mum used to have. He was small, much smaller than Ryan, barely coming up to his knees. When he came up to him the kid was beaming brighter than the sun. His skin pale as death, the same clothes on his skin as the night that he- 

"Hey there, little man!"  

Where've you been? You promised you'd be back for my birthday! The child's expression frowned jokingly and his brother chuckled at it, ruffling his hair.  

"I know. I'm sorry, but I'm here now, alright? And look," he gestured to Leah, "I brought a friend."  

Leah followed his eyes. "Ryan...?"  

"Come on, Alan. Say 'Hi'."

The child hid behind his brother's back, clutching onto his jeans tightly. His hands and eyes cold. Staring at the stranger with a venomous gaze. An invader on his private playground.  

"He's a bit shy, but don't mind it. Alan? This is Leah."  

"Ryan... Who's there?" Leah asked carefully. 

"What d'you mean? It's Alan. My brother." 

Why did you bring her here? 

He turned to the child clutching his legs; the face he loved so much confused and angered at what he had done.  

You told Dad you wouldn't let anyone near me. That you'd protect me. 

"I did but-" 

THEN WHY IS SHE HERE? 

The roar was unexpected, so much so that he had stepped away from his brother. Staring and breathing heavily, shaking all over. This wasn't Alan. This wasn't Alan. 

You lied. You lied to me, you lied to Dad- 

"No..." 

-to Mum, to everyone you ever knew!! That's why she left us, Ryan, that's why they're GONE! 

"Calm down, Alan. Just take it easy-" 

You remember how she left! How she didn't even say goodbye, said she was finding us more food but just vanished! She never loved you. She never loved either of us. It was all just a joke and she left us and you know it! 

"Alan-" 

And you enjoyed it, didn't you? You liked how it felt that night. You got addicted to that feeling-