Part 11

"Watch it Eric," Tyler warns him as I watch the two interact with each other. Eric had a smirk on his face, along with a steady stand ready for anything. Then there was Tyler, he had his hands in fists at his side, you could see his body was tense, but his face told you he was completely calm. 

            "What's wrong champ? It's not like she is worth anything, she is a city girl. She isn't worth a penny as far as I am concerned," Eric continues making Tyler step forward. I quickly grab his arm and keep a grip on it. 

           "He isn't worth it Tyler, let's just go," I say knowing where this was leading. I don't go out a lot, but I have seen this kind of thing before and I know how it usually ends. Tyler looks at me then back at Eric before backing up again. He places his hand on my lower back and pushes me a little to go with him. We walk side by side toward the steps to exist the deck. His hand was on my back the whole time, and things looked to be over.

            "Don't take the lady away," Eric says as he grabs my hand. Before I could pull my hand away, Tyler turned around and shoved Eric back so hard that he nearly fell over. He did however, knock over several stools and a table in the process. Tyler was standing in front of me, his breathing had picked up and you could see just how angry he was. 

            "Boys! That is enough!" an older man said walking over as two other guys help Eric up. The old man stood between the two and looked at them both with disappointment.

            "He shoved me Z, you seen it," Eric says putting his hat back on. Tyler was staring him down with looks that could kill. I placed a hand on his back and he still didn't calm down.

             "I seen that you were mistreating our guest, you know the proper way to treat a guest, and a lady no other," the old man says making Eric glare at me then look back at the man.

             "I was just trying to show her around, like Tyler wasn't," he tries to argue back.

            "Bullshit Eric and you know it! Lay one hand on her again and I will make sure you never use that hand again in your lifetime," Tyler says making small whispers go off in the crowd that has gathered. The whole attention of the rodeo people was now on us, and it was awkward.

            "Eric, apologize to this young lady," the man says. Eric looks at me with look of pure hate.

            "Sorry," he says before stomping off. The crowd slowly clears and the old man stays behind with us. Tyler has cooled down a little but was watching Eric through the window.

            "Don't mind him, he means well," the old man says to me.

            "He doesn't mean well Z, that kid is nothing but trouble and everyone around here know it. If it wasn't for him being Paul's son, he would be kicked out of the rodeo and you know that. This place is supposed to be about respect and hard work. He knows either one of those two things clearly, he is still a kid." Tyler says making the man shake his head.

           "Tyler, everyone in this room was like that at one point or another. We are a team, there is no need to be starting fights with one another, no matter how pretty the lad is," he says looking at me now.  "Who might you be?" he says politely making me smile. I step around Tyler, he doesn't make a move so I know this guy means no harm at all.

          "I'm Brooklyn, Tyler's friend," I say making him look at Tyler with a raise eye borrow. 

          "I met her a few weeks ago.. Brooklyn, this is Z. He is kind of the grandpa of all us guys, in a none biological way if that makes sense. He is just the whole reason all this is possible," Tyler says making me smile. It was nice to get to meet someone who has changed so many peoples lives.

          "Oh yes, without this program, most of these guys would be out causing trouble somewhere," Z jokes making me laugh. Tyler even cracks a smile finally and relaxes.

          "Z, I am sure most of these guys are old enough to now better. This program just helps us keep busy and aim for something bigger in life. The younger program is the one that really counts. I look forward to working in it this month," Tyler says making me look at him.

          "Oh yes! Brooklyn, we do need someone to help out. I mean, girls are more tender hearted than guys, they might listen better if a girl is with them as well. As a matter of fact, Tyler needs someone teamed with him still," he says with a smile. Tyler gives him a look and Z smiles at him. 

           "I am sure she has better things going on, it's summer after all," Tyler says making me laugh a little.

            "Actually, I have nothing going on besides helping my brother with his car. I would love to help, kids and I get along well," I say making Tyler smile amazed.

          "Great, you two start tomorrow morning at 8, don't be late," Z says walking away. Tyler and I walk down the dirt road back toward where the parking lot was.

           "You know, just because he is old doesn't mean you have to do things for the rodeo like this," Tyler says making me shake my head.

           "I want to, it sounds like fun. Plus I will get to see everything you rodeo people get to do," I say making him look a little worried but it passes and he smiles.

           "Well, I look forward to working with you Miss Brooklyn," he says opening my door to my car. I smile at him before getting in and watching him walk away.