Eighty-Two: Simple Day

Kalypso Queen

It is far from an easy day. There are calls from stockholders, investors, and government agents who want a piece of me. They all want some other information here and there. Without Tami Young as my junior assistant, I have to search for another one. Unfortunately, assistants shy away from a job at the dubious Capello International thanks to its reputation. Still, there are some who desperately need the money. Helen is handling it, and I trust her word.

I keep on making calls, trying to find a way to counter the government investigation. The last thing I want is for the investigation to take two years, which will certainly cripple the corporation if they push on certain things—such as freezing the corporate account.

Right now, everything is frozen. I manage to persuade the investigation to leave the bank account for the employees unfrozen. I don't want their pay to be docked or late. Some of them are in rough places, and they need the money.

They need it much more than I do. They need their jobs, and they need to keep working or else they won't make their bills.

That is what I realized.

That is why I have to come back. That is why I can't let the company burn to the ground, no matter how despicable my father is.

Besides, I can't let my grandmother's finest work die. My grandmother's legacy is the most important thing to her. Even though she would want me to do whatever I want with it, I won't let it die. I won't let a little thing like my own feelings affect the lives of thousands of people.

But I keep working.

And this time, I don't let the ruthless part of me take over completely. By the end of the day, I offer a small smile to the security guard in lobby.

I swear that he trips over his feet.