Sixty-Three: Another Kill

Brandon Prince

When we first hear Meyer's voice, I swear that a bomb has gone off. Everyone quiets immediately, and no one can keep their ears away from this conference room. The word spreads to Gabi, who listens intently. I hold the phone, which is connected to Brigham's computer. I don't say a single word, but I suspect Kalypso has put me on mute.

And speakerphone.

"She does what she wants," says Kalypso, very calm. We heard the sound of a gun's safety being clicked, and we have no idea what in the world is going on.

"Mexican police should be on its way," stammers Brigham, shaking his head at the computer screen. "I don't know why it is taking so long."

"Try military," orders Gabi, now the highest-ranking agent in the room. "Get anyone there. I don't want Meyer to escape."

Suddenly, everything about Meyer makes sense. He wants me to be focused on Kalypso, because he wants the FBI to crack down on her. Meyer has to be working with the very people who are trying to kill Kalypso Queen. Obviously, this mysterious Diego is coerced into working with them, but I'm slightly worried that... he might turn against Kalypso.

Then there is a yell coming from the other line, and we have not a clue to what's happening.

Then five seconds later, there is a gunshot.