Fifty-Five: A Weapon

Brandon Prince

In the conference room, Brigham has taken over the seats with his folders and junk. Tami and I are staring at the projector screen and shaking our heads. We already plugged the USB into the computer, but there is a stupid system protecting what is in the files. If we don't find out the password, everything will be wiped clean—including the computer.

"Twenty-four hours. Not a lot of time," says Brigham, cracking his knuckles. "On the plus side, we have unlimited chances. We can guess passwords, and it won't trigger the wipe."

"So what can it be?"

"Apple," guesses Tami.

Brigham tries. Denied.

"Password," tries Tami.

Denied.

"Piero Capello," I suggest, glancing over at Brigham. He shakes his head, and I know I'm denied too. Dang it. What can it be?"

"What about that group of numbers in the other flash drive Kalypso gave you?" asks Brigham. "What is the number again?"

"Two, zero, zero, four..." I think hard, trying to remember the rest of the sequence. "It is the numerical form of September 12, 2004."

"Got it." Brigham looks up at the projector. The second screen of the laptop he's typing on. A red flash appears again. Denied.

"It isn't the sequence. What is it?"

"Harrison Brown?" I try.

Denied.

"What password can it be?" I mutter, picking up Mekal Price's phone and dialing Minerva's phone number again. I wait two rings.

Then I hear voicemail.

I try again, my feet tapping the carpets as Brigham randomly tries Kalypso's birthday, her sister's birthday, some rare wine bottles' names, and many other names.

"Hello?" says Minerva. "Mekal? What are you doing?"

"The flash drive inside of the apple. What is the password? Minerva, I need that password," I say, putting every bit of conviction I have into my voice.

"You have the grocery lists, right?"

"Yeah." I blink, surprised by the turn of events. I look to Brigham, who is frantically trying to get around the system. "What does that have to do with the passwords?"

"The lists of groceries. Today is July the sixth. The year is 2015. Two plus zero plus one plus five equals to eight. There are three hundred and sixty-five grocery lists. Look for the one dated July the sixth. Eighth item down the list. That item would be your password," answers Minerva. She then mutters something to someone on her line. Then she says, "Sorry. I was talking to the makeup artist. But that is it. I hope you know what you're looking at."

Then she ends the call.

"Well?" Brigham says, looking up at me. "Did she say anything?"

"The grocery list. The other flash drive. The one she gave me," I say. "Get the grocery list. Find the one dated July the sixth. Eighth item down the list will be our password."

"Is she for real?" Tami throws her hands up. "Unbelievable."

"The flash drive she gave me is the codebook," I realize.

***

It turns out that the password is pasta of all things. One word, two syllables, five letters.

When Brigham types in the word carefully into his computer, a green flash goes over the screen and I know that we are in.