Twenty-One: Coffee Shop

Brandon Prince

"Why are you here?" asks Gabi, watching me sneak into the taco trunk. We are listening to Kalypso and the mysterious man's exchange. "Shouldn't you be back at the company and writing up reports?"

"I already finished them," I answer, slightly proud. "I got the hang of it. They are actually easier to do than I originally thought. Who knew? Maybe I could be a real vintner when I'm done with all of this."

"Oh, shut up," says Brigham, near the front of truck. His messy brown curls are a welcoming sight, and I can't believe we have gone a long time without seeing each other. "We will kill you before that happens. I still haven't gotten a good picture of that guy. Always wears a hood. We can always arrest him."

"On what charges?" notes Gabi. "We can't arrest someone just because they wear a black hoodie. Don't be stupid. We don't want to blow this operation."

From the speaker, we hear the conversation.

"Thanks for meeting with me on such short notice," says Kalypso. There is this shuffling noise, which means her phone—and the recording device—is in her pocket. "I have a new job for you."

"As always. Do you want me to update you on all the cases I'm looking through for you? You still haven't checked back about Tanya Johnson."

"What about her?"

"She is clean. Boring as any other middle class worker," says the low voice. "Manuel Vargas' disappearance is—"

"He's dead," coldly interrupts Kalypso.

Brigham, Gabi, and I all freeze. Here it is. Maybe a confession. Maybe some tears. Maybe anything, we just don't know.

"What?"

"I just know," says Kalypso. "Don't question it. I want you to look into his death. See if you can trace anything. See if you can find his murderer."

"Did you...?" The man doesn't finish the sentence.

"You don't need to know," she only states. Then she slurps from her tea cup—probably some green tea again. "Anything else about my father?"

"Clean as a whistle."

"Grayson Matthews?"

"His brakes were cut. That is what I heard from my sources," says the mysterious man. "I don't know anything else yet. The police are still investigating."

"So soon," mutters Kalypso.

"What?"

"Nothing. Anything else?"

"No," answers the man.

A pause.

Kalypso orders, "There is one thing I want you to do for me. There is an employee. I used him to replace Manuel Vargas. His name is Mekal Price. I need you to do a very thorough background check on him."

I stiffen. Gabi and Brigham lean forward towards the speaker, listening and hanging onto every single word. We hold our breath.

"Another one?" The man sighs. "You have too many enemies for me look out for."

"I also have many allies."

"Yes," he agrees. "When will this be over? When will you stop sending me after backstabbers, greedy sons of bitches, and professional liars? When will you and your father stop fighting?"

A pregnant pause.

"I don't think we are going to stop fighting until one of us is dead." Then Kalypso says, "Thanks, Ricky. For coming on a short notice."

"You pay me too well," he jokes.

***

In a black apron and white t-shirt, Gabi spins her chair and flips her dark ponytail over her shoulder. She raises her eyebrow. "Want to explain to me why she has her PI looking into you?"

I think back through recent events. Then I remember. "I may or may not had overstepped my boundaries at work earlier."

"What did you do?"

"I asked her a few questions. Personal questions," I tell her. I look over to Brigham, who is casually typing away on his computer without seemingly listening into our conversation. "A lot of personal questions. I myself wondered why I wasn't fired."

"Great job, Brandon," sarcastically says Gabi. "Once you're fired, you can really do something."

"I'm looking into Kalypso Queen's financial records," announces Brigham, saving me with his words. "I can't find a trace of guy named Ricky. If she is paying him, it has to be in cash. I can arrest him—"

"On what charges?" Gabi adds, "We continue to monitor. If there is any proof, then we can arrest Kalypso Queen. Got it?"

We both nod.

I go the back of the truck.

"And Brandon?" Gabi pauses. "If her PI is looking into you, you have to be as normal as any other daily Joe. We don't want to tip her off."

"Yes, Gabi."