Sixty-Six: Dying Day

Kalypso Queen

"I don't want to die," I say, holding my finger over the trigger. "I think you can already tell that, Meyer. I never ever want to die."

"But you never truly lived, did you?" He clicks his tongue and quickly moves out of the way. The gun barrel I'm holding follows him, and I know that I'm out in the open. The policemen have their guns on me, and I know that in this situation, I'm probably not going to survive.

"Well, it looks like your men will win," I reply, noting every single bit of their movements. "But one problem, you will die for sure."

"You'll like that."

"At least, I get to avenge Georgia," I remind. "So is this how it is going to end?"

"I never wanted it to end this way." Meyer shrugs. "But that is what you get when you go down the dark road and do... everything for money, favors, and women. Let me say this, Miss Queen. I may not be a favorable person to you, but... I never liked your father. Oh, I liked the money. Just not your father."

"I think we can agree on my father and money," I sarcastically say. "Unfortunately, we don't agree about you. You want to alive. I want you dead."

"True. But we both die in this current situation."

"Lovely," I say. "But your reputation is in shatters and I might go down as a saint. So you end up dying as the devil and I the martyr."

"Somehow Wall Street's It girl manages to die too young. I'm sure your headlines will be beautiful, Miss Queen," he replies.

"So should I just kill you now?" I ask, sarcastic words coming out of my mouth. "Or would you like some last words?"

"Yes," Meyer answers. Then he orders, "You two, attack her. No guns."

***

Surprised by his words, I barely manage to blink when the first man comes for me. He has his gun still pointed at me, but I doubt he is actually going to use it. Before he is even two feet away from me, I aim carefully and pull the trigger.

He yells, falling to the ground. He winces. Does not possess a high pain tolerance.

I turn to the second man, just in time to see a swinging punch. I duck easily, and then give him a side kick in the gut. I pull the trigger again, this time in the knee.

Then I spin for Meyer, gun ready to shoot.

I see him just in time to watch the doors close right in front of him.

Still, I give out one more bullet. It flies towards the elevator, and a spark comes off where it hits. I grimace. That lucky bastard.

I point the gun to two of the policemen, who are now rapidly speaking in Spanish. I sigh, and I completely ignore them. They are only hired men. They live on orders.

I reach into my pocket for Diego's cell phone, and I unmute the phone. Then I also take Prince off of speakerphone. "Neither of us really wanted to kill each other. Probably why Meyer and I survived, Prince."

He takes a sigh of pure relief. "Who did you shoot?"

"The two policemen." I quickly add, "In the leg. They will need a doctor. But I can't say the same about Georgia. She is dead. Went through her forehead."

"Kalypso..." He speaks softly, his words like a song.

"I'm sorry, Prince. But Meyer got away."

And my father is still out there.