Give up the Fight

The first thing I saw when I woke up to my dream was Billie strumming his guitar on the grass of this huge ass field in the middle of nowhere. At the moment, the only few things going through my mind that needed to be discussed were David and the phone business. I needed some answers, and I was fucking hoping this Billie would have them.

"Hey!" I call out while running towards him.

"Hey," he responds, not even looking up.

I finally make my way over and sit down beside him.

"Hello, anyone in there?" I knock on his head playfully.

"Urgh, fuck off, I'm tired," he whines, continuing to strum.

"How can you be tired? You don't take a physical form."

"It feels like I'm hungover."

"How can you be hungover, did you drink last night?"

My words sort of trailed off when I thought about the mystery number texting me and telling me that her husband had gotten drunk. Could that have possibly affected him too?

"Billie, I know you feel sort of shitty, but I need to talk to you. Can you try and cooperate?" I plead.

"Mhm," he mumbles. He was wearing these baggy black jeans and a skin tight white tee. He began humming some random tune and closed his eyes.

"Hey, I need you to listen."

"I'm listening," he trails off.

"Fine. Well, you'd never guess what happened to me last night."

"Uh huh...."

"Um, okay." I was getting agitated by his lack of awareness. Should I even bother? "Well, I got this text from an unknown number, and they were claiming it was you."

"That's nice," he smiles in ignorance.

"No Billie, it's not nice. I wasn't sleeping, so how could I have gotten a text from you? You introduced yourself with your name spelled just like how you would spell it, and then tried to convince me that you needed to speak with me."

"Whoa!"

"I know!"

"You can see that bird too?"

I flung my head up to the sky to see what Billie was referring to.

"Billie, are you even paying attention?"

"Why would I pay attention? Did he do me a favor? Did I buy something from him? What do I owe him?" He begins giggling at his lame joke.

I stood up in aggravation.

"Fine. I'm sorry for even bringing it up." I began walking in the opposite direction of where we were. How could he be so fucking stupid? Does he even care? This isn't a joke. The two of us need to work hard to figure things out if we want to save ourselves from this weird trap.

The further I got away from him, the quieter things got. His music began to drift off into the wind. I was honestly surprised that he didn't come after me. He didn't yell out my name or even attempt to get me to stay. It hurt a little, but I tried to shake it off.

I had never been alone in my dreams before. Well, at least not since Billie was involved. Every time sleep over came me, Billie was there every step of the way. Parting from him was strange, but necessary in order to get him to understand what was going on.