21. Church

"And you'll find loss. And you'll fear what you found. When weather comes down, tear him down." Oats In the Water, Ben Howard.

Alex's *POV*

"Help! God, help me! Someone!" All of our heads turned to where the voice was coming from. "Help me! Oh god!"

We ran towards the noise, and saw that a bald guy in a black suit and a white collar, assuming he was a father from a church, on his knees trying to stay safe from a walker trying to eat him. "Help me!"

"I got this-" I said, walking towards the walker.

"Nah, let Rick do it. We can't trust this guy." Daryl said, grabbing me. Rick ran up to the guy, them grabbed the walker by its head and smashed it into the rock, causing the walker to die and fall on the ground. The bald guy climbed down, and looked at the walker, then at us. He coughed a bit, then suddenly he threw up right in front of us, causing me to close my eyes and gag from the sounds and smell.

"I'm father Gabriel." He said, after throwing up. I turned to Daryl and raised my eyebrows.

"Where'd you come from?" I asked. The father Gabriel turned to me and smiled nervously, looking at our weapons.

"My church- there's a church."

"Where?" Daryl mumbled.

"Not too far from here." Father Gabriel spoke.

"If-if there's a church-"

"It's safe. Only one entrance, one exit." Father Gabriel interrupted Rick.

"If you're lying..." Rick said.

"No, I'm not. Honest."

"Is there more people? At the church." Rick asked.

"Just me... And God." He answered Rick. Rick hesitated, while looking back at all of us, then at the ground- trying to make a decision. "There's food, water. Enough for at least a month."

"Rick," I whispered. "It seems legitimate to me."

"Yeah, same here." Daryl said. "We need to stop- rest and sleep. Eat."

"Ok then. But we're not staying if it's not safe- we're not risking our lives." Rick spoke. Father Gabriel led us to the church through the woods.

"Hey." I heard Daryl's voice and felt his boot kick mine as I sat against the wall. I looked up and saw him leaning against the wall.

"Hi."

"Why aren't you with everyone?"

"Why aren't you?" I smirked.

"Smart ass." He said, turning away to leave. I heard her laugh and I could just picture the smile are her face.

"Come back." I smiled, as he turned around to join me on the ground. "DC, huh?"

"So you heard..." He said.

"DC... It just sounds too good to be true. Look at Terminus. What if DC isn't what it seems, or no one is there? I think I would just give up at that point." I said, straightening my back up against the wall.