14. Without You

"About a funny old world that's coming along, seems sick and it's hungry, it's tired and it's torn. It looks like it's dying and it's hardly been born." Song To Woody, Bob Dylan

Alex's POV*

I've never felt comfortable in fear. Especially today. It's just the only place I can confide in these days, with everything going wrong. The prison was gone, everyone was. We've lost each other within seconds, all because of that governor who broke down our walls. And now, it was just us three.  I didn't know where Daryl had gone, I was just hoping he was okay and made it out of the prison alive and in time. Maybe, just maybe, we'll find each other again.

The road we were walking on, led us away from prison. We had walked away from the front, never turning back. Rick didn't want his son to look at everything had fallen, and slowly but surely, Rick knew he was going to crumble just like the prison, but I know he wanted Carl to be here for him.

"Carl," Rick spoke. "Slow down." I turned to Rick to see him very tired. "Carl, stop! We need to stay together." He said. "We got to find a place with food, supplies." Rick and I caught up to Carl, and stood in the middle of the road and trees surrounding us. My arm wrapped around his waist, tying to keep him up and from falling.

"Hey," He said, placing a hand on his son. "We're gonna be..." Carl's eyes looked at his fathers, then away, possibly filled with hatred. Instead of giving a response, he just walked in front of us again.

"Give him some time." I said. Rick turned to me and looked. "C'mon." I gave out my hand to Rick and had him lean on my shoulder so I could help him move faster, to be at same pace as Carl.

Rick swung open the abandoned biker bar door, while Carl had his gun out, ready to sweep the place. The broken down motorcycles out front had reminded me of Daryl and the times he fixed his bike outside the prison.

"Wait outside, okay?" Rick spoke. "Keep watch."

"You keep watch." Carl said fiercely at his dad.

"Carl." I furrowed my eyebrows and looked down at him.

"No. He can barely stand." He responded. "I'm not gonna let you go in there alone."

"I'm here too, Carl. He won't be alone." I said.

"Excuse me?" Rick ignored what I had said.

"We've done this before." He told his dad. "I'm gonna help you clear it. You should just let me clear it myself." He mumbled.

"I'll stay out and watch then." I said, walking towards the bikes and look out, as I heard the door open, leaving the father and son to bicker at each other.

Soon enough, they came out of the bar with one bag filled with unknown items. I took the bag from Rick and carried it myself, while Carl walked ahead already. Can't he just slow down? "Hey." Rick said to Carl, but he kept on walking. It's like Rick read my mind.

"Hey. Hey. That one's as good as any." Rick said, as we stopped in front of a white house. I walked up to the door and opened it up harshly. I pointed my gun into the house and walked slowly. "Carl."

"I got it." Carl said.

"I'll go with him." I told Rick.