Act 31: Allianz

"W-what?" Eren stuttered with the most blank looking face so that he wouldn't attract any attention. "Levi, I didn't know you were the joking type."

"The fact that you think my sincere words of admiration is a joke makes me agitated," Levi snapped angrily but recovered quickly.

"It's impossible. I thought you knew that," Eren said in a low whisper and took his hand with a look of tenderness on his face.

"Why is it impossible?" Levi demanded.

"Levi, you're the king of Sina," he replied frantically. "I have a country that is probably waiting for me. I can't abandoned them."

"Don't you need to wait a few years until you can be prince again? And if you did get your crown back, it would still be impossible."

"Who's supposed to take over Maria? I don't want to leave my people even if they probably still think I'm a back stabber. Levi, I need you to understand that."

"There's the princess so she could take over and become queen in your place. Besides, isn't Princess Mikasa a month older than you? Therefor she's the one who is supposed to take over the throne."

"How the hell did you know she's older than me?"

"I like keeping tabs on anyone who associates with my boyfriend," he purred.

"It's true she's supposed to take over the throne but in Maria, she isn't supposed to take over unless she gets a husband and she...Mikasa isn't really the type to be swooning over males," Eren said.

"So you're saying she isn't heterosexual?"

"No," Eren replied as he held in a chuckle. "She thinks she doesn't need a man."

"She will find one eventually and then we could be together."

"Levi, you sound so selfish. I don't think I'm willing to be part of this country if it means leaving mine."

"I'm being selfish because all I want is you," Levi said a little too loudly, causing the heads of sleepy soldiers to look at their direction with confused expressions on their faces. "I love you, Eren."

"Levi-"

"You're the one being selfish," he interrupted. "Do you only want to return to Maria because of the power awaiting you?"

"T-that's not true," Eren stuttered. "My people need me. They need someone to protect them."

"You're underestimating Princess Mikasa. Could she handle everything on her own? If so, there's no need to go back. You can stay with me forever and I'll love you until your dying breath. Wait, beyond that because there's no limit to how much I love you."

Eren remained silent and felt his face heat up. The fact that there were a few soldiers eavesdropping their conversation made him feel very embarrassed. He nuzzled his cheek into Levi's hand when he cupped his cheek, earning a quiet sigh from The King.

"Sir, I...I don't think you can marry your enemies," Eren mentioned.

"You're not a prince anymore, remember? I took that away from you."

"How will your people accept this? I don't think anyone here likes me."

"That doesn't fucking matter," he murmured and leaned closer to him. "I'll love you so much that it will replace all the hate. You don't need anyone's approval."

Eren chuckled; Levi really was making an effort to reassure him and he would never have expected that.

"No ring?"