Act 28: Weglaufen

"Be safe, don't get yourselves killed and be kind to strangers but if they seem threatening, don't be afraid to punch them on the spot if needed," Hanji told both Eren and Levi like a concerned mother. She was escorting them to the horses outside and her eyes looked a little glassy like she might cry any second.

"Whatever, four eyes," Levi said as he rolled his eyes.

"Also I'll be sure to send a bird if I have any important news," she added. "Hopefully good ones."

"Got it," Levi replied impatiently.

"Oh and keep Eren safe!"

"Of course."

Eren smiled and perked up at the mention of his name.

The sky was gloomy and dark that day and the cool wind weaved through their hair gently. The weather wasn't the best, but it didn't really matter anyways. A lot of soldiers and Erwin were seeing them off, saying small wishes of luck and goodbyes. A lot of them refused to meet Eren's eyes, maybe because he wasn't really a part of them or maybe just because he was The King's love interest. It didn't really bother him, by now he was already used to these kind of things.

He too would understand if he were ever in their position.

"Good luck, Your Majesty! Hopefully everything and everyone will be chill when you come back," Hanji said. "Oh and don't die!"

Levi cracked a small smirk. Dying was the last thing that was on his mind.

They got on their horses as Eren felt a giant pang of guilt deep within him. He wasn't sure if Armin knew he was going but he was leaving him again. He just felt bad that Armin came along despite all the risk and trouble just to make sure his prince was alright, but it was waste now that he wasn't a prince anymore and was running off with Levi.

He shook his head, he would remember to send his apologies and gratitude when he comes back. They started running off and didn't even look back once because that would make the both of them feel a little sad.

The wind blew fiercely on their face and the faint sun glistened down on them behind the pale, thin sheet of clouds above their green hooded heads. Their horses galloped at incredible speed and Eren felt as free as a released prisoner.

They zoomed towards the horizon and soon into the unknown.

--

They were past the borders now even though they didn't go through the giant gates but it was pretty obvious since it's been hours, in fact almost a day. They didn't do any walking but Eren was exhausted and his ass was sore from sitting on the horse for way too long.

The sun was already setting but he didn't want to complain, he had to trust Levi and he was sure that he was being taken far away from any of the three countries now; maybe even beyond that. It was getting dark and it made it even creepier that they were in the middle of a spooky looking forest.

"Eren?" The King called out as he looked over his shoulder.

"Yeah?"

"We're going to be resting for tonight. You look like shit and you look like you're going to faint," Levi told him.

"Thanks for your concern," Eren mumbled back.

Levi tugged at the reins and his horse skidded to a complete stop, neighing loudly and bowing its head. Eren's did the same and they jumped off, stretching their legs and slightly patting their sore bums. It was a cold evening and it was dark; Eren wasn't so sure if Levi even had a plan anymore.