Act 19: Traurigkeit

Levi was staring at Eren with disbelief as he watched the younger male cry. It was odd seeing another guy cry because the king was born in an environment where it was rare and unnecessary. Even when loved ones die they wouldn't cry too much. Maybe one or two tears but that was about it. Eren noticed that Levi was watching so he frantically began to wipe away his tears but they wouldn't stop flowing from his eyes and honestly he was just crying because he didn't want to feel any more pain.

In the pit of Levi's heart, he felt small tug of pity and guilt but this boy did try to kill him after all by sneaking into his army and that was utterly unacceptable. He stood there for a while, trying to sort out the messages being sent to his brain.

Look! You made him cry.

That's so mean.

He was right about you. You are a cruel tyrant.

Why are you hurting him if it's obvious you like him?

Deep inside he knew he didn't want to hurt Eren at all but it was the only way to get away from these stupid feelings. He thought maybe the more pain he caused to Eren, it would get rid of all those feelings towards him and so far it wasn't very effective at all. He continued to cry and Levi just stood there and watched him cry himself back to sleep.

There were a few weeks until his execution date so hopefully by the end of that time he would truly believe he hated Eren. He still had a few tricks up his sleeve but it wasn't going to be pretty at all. It was also going to be difficult to hurt Eren since Hanji told Levi that titan shifters healed a little faster than humans did. As Eren rolled to the side so that he was facing his back towards Levi, the king saw that Hanji was right.

There were no bruises or whip cuts on his back anymore.

The days passed on slowly and Eren was surprised that Levi didn't see him everyday to give him a daily beating. If he was lucky, Hanji or Armin would sneak in with at least an apple or a stale piece of bread but it sure better than nothing because Levi gave him nothing at all. It was so boring in there too and Eren thought that maybe he was going to die of boredom before he was executed.

He would often sleep or even do a few push ups because he still wanted to remain in shape despite being beaten almost on a daily basis. The cage wasn't too big but he would still jog around it to get his heart pumping.

He even tried to turn into a titan again but it was no use because he just couldn't get angry enough for some reason. Sure he was very mad at Levi for keeping him in here but he was mainly sad because he missed being in his country. He missed being in his castle and he missed walking around his gardens late at night. He missed being the adored prince Eren Jaeger.

There were a few days where Levi wouldn't even show up at all nor Hanji and Armin so he didn't get any food. He understood because it was probably very difficult for them to enter Levi's room since he was there most the day and Eren knew that because he heard him yelling or walking away too loudly. His hunger was chaotically clawing inside his stomach like an actual, caged animal.

A few days later passed and just when he thought he was going to die of starvation, the dungeon door slammed open with Jean and Reiner walking in. They eyed Eren like he was accused of murder and perhaps maybe he was. Eren was looking at them from the corner of his cage and he didn't move because it was a difficult task now since he hasn't eaten anything for a while.

"What do you want?" Eren croaked in a dry voice.

"Is that actually the guy who acted as Hotaru?" Jean asked Reiner in a hoarse whisper.

"I can hear what you're saying," Eren murmured. "Why are you here?"

"We were sent here by Hanji, Ho- I mean Eren," Reiner said with an awkward cough.