Chapter 41

This is NOT EDITED!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Liza P.O.V.

The sun was setting over the hills, pitching the valley into a dim dusk. I watched the last rays fade from the porch, feeling my last shreds of hope disappear with them. Tonight was the night. It would change everything - for good or for bad.

And not everyone would make it back.

"Hey, Liza!" a blond guy hollered from where he stood next to his pickup truck. "You coming, or what?"

I forced myself to look away, and headed towards him, plastering a nervous smile on my face. As the darkness fell even further, I could feel myself blending into the night, becoming a silent shadow except for my heels that clicked loudly through the night.

"Only you would wear heels into battle." Wes commented, rolling his eyes. I grinned a little at the comment, but the butterflies in my stomach didn't allow me to say anything else. I was mute as I climbed into the car after him, keeping my fidgeting hands intertwined on my lap.

"Why so quiet?" he asked cheerfully, as he pulled out of the Harris' driveway and onto the main road.

I laughed bitterly. "How can you ask that, Wes. We're going to go face our deaths. Of course I'm not going to be a talking machine."

"You need to calm down." Wes said quietly, laying a free hand on my arm. "We're going to get through this, you have to believe that."

I pulled my arm away, not wanting to be comforted at the moment. "Not everyone is going to make it." I reminded him painfully.

Wes sighed, and put both hands back on the steering wheel. "That's true. But they'll have died knowing that they fought the best they could."

"How can you be so calm?" I asked after a short silence, "Aren't you worried that someone you know is going to get hurt?"

He shrugged. "Are you?" he countered.

I lapsed into silence, watching the dark trees dance past the window. Names, faces, memories swarmed through my mind. So many people I knew could be dead by morning. I would never have the chance to talk to them, see them smile, laugh at their jokes, apologize. Wes, Hailey, Kane, Rosie...

Brent.

Something in my gut pulled at the thought of never seeing him again, almost causing me to gag at the bitter taste that shot up my throat. True, he was a jerk. A self-obsessed, annoying, hopeless jerk. But he was also caring, tender, comforting... mine.

"Yes." I managed to say hoarsely. "I'm terrified."

Wes looked over at me, his eyes sad. "I guess I am too, then."

I kept his gaze for a moment longer, before I had to turn back to the window to hide my tears. Soon, not only trees, but small houses and buildings started to blur as my wet eyes struggled to make out their shapes. People and wolves soon joined the throng making their way to the war zone. They all parted for Wes' car, their faces cast down to the ground, savouring their last moment with their loved ones.

Wes found an empty parking spot, just in front of Betty's Boutique. I wondered where she was. Had she been evacuated? Had she looked for me?

Was I ever going to see her again?

"Chin up, honey." Wes said, wiping away a stray tear before stepping outside. The door slammed loudly behind him, and my hands trembled as they unbuckled my seat belt. I stumbled outside, only to be caught by Wes again.