Style

You got that James Dean daydream look in your eye
And I got that red lip classic thing that you like
And when we go crashing down, we come back every time
'Cause we never go out of style
We never go out of style
You got that long hair, slicked back, white t-shirt
And I got that good girl faith and a tight little skirt
And when we go crashing down, we come back every time
'Cause we never go out of style
We never go out of style.

Alison's POV

I gasp and drop my notepad. Then I back away slowly, going behind the counter and clutching my heart. I can't breathe. It's the same damn thing and I can't. My heart hurts.

Ru looks at me like I'm crazy.

I probably look like I am.

"Al, what's wrong?"

I just point a shaky finger at the girls who are all staring at me.

Ru understands. "Which one is she?"

"The tan one."

Her face is all business. "Get in the back, go. Don't worry, you'll be alright."

I go into the kitchen and I can hear Ru telling them they can't see me and that I'm not ready for this. They won't take no for an answer.

Ru pokes her head in and whispers, "Go home, Al. You can be done for the day."

"Thank you." I feel tears stinging my eyes. I pull off my apron and sprint out the back, hot tears rolling down my cheeks as soon as I'm out of the diner.

I run and run, my lungs burning until finally I reach the one place I can be calm, the bookstore.

I go back to the classics and pull the first book I touch off the shelf.

Just by chance it's Great Expectations.

I sit on the floor and read, tears falling out of my eyes and down my cheeks. Pip gets Estella, but I can't think about my life ever turning out that good. I've had a million chances to have a happy ending since I was born and I blew every single one of them. I deserve nothing.

"Alison."

I look up and stand fast, bumping my head against a bookshelf.

It's Emily.

"We went to your house but you weren't there. No one would tell us where you would be. They all seemed to know who we were and not trust us. They're pretty protective of you."

I still can't talk. And I can't breathe. My heart hurts.

"So... This is where you've been this past year..."

I stay smushed against the shelves, wishing I could backup even more.

"Are you even gonna talk to me?"

I can't. My mind is screaming. I can't!

She huffs, clearly annoyed. "Y'know I'm pretty angry with you. I know you were hurting, but I told you I loved you and you left me again! You just took off without telling anyone where you were going, or how long you'd be gone for! That was really selfish of you!"

I feel like I'm gonna pass out. I still can't breathe. The world is going dark.

"Still not gonna talk?! You're acting like a stupid little girl!"

"Hey!"

We both look to see tiny little 15-year-old Emma, hands on hips.

"Get out of here! You can't yell like that in the store!"