Diet Mountain Dew

Baby put on heart shaped sunglasses
Cause we gonna take a ride
I'm not gonna listen to what the past says
I've been waiting up all night
Take another drag turn me to ashes
Ready for another lie?
Says she's gonna teach me just what fast is
Say it's gonna be alright
Diet mountain dew, baby, New York City
Never was there ever a girl so pretty
Do you think we'll be in love forever?
Do you think we'll be in love?

Alison's POV

It's dark for almost no time this time.

When the lights go up I'm standing outside a café. I remember what's about to happen immediately when I see my younger self from two years ago and my mom sitting at one of the tables looking at menus.

"Do you know what you would like?" Mom asks.

"I'll have whatever you're having." She replies, then smirks slightly. "Except for the bloody Mary."

Mom looks annoyed. "I'm not ordering a cocktail."

The teen just keeps on smiling. "Go for it. I won't tell dad."

Mom smiles back. "Maybe a small glass."

Younger me keeps on smiling that same smile.

Then mom scoffs. "Ali, you've gotta take my word on this, that top was way too revealing."

I watch her smile droop a little. "I'm happy with the yellow one."

But I know she isn't. I remember that I wanted to buy the other one for Emily. It was pale pink which was Emily's favorite color for me to wear. I wanted to blow Emily away when I wore it for the sleepover but now that wouldn't happen. Also I would be getting buried alive.

Mom looks unsure but says nothing.

"Would it be okay if I stayed down the shore till Tuesday?" The girl asks hopefully.

"By yourself, no."

"I won't be alone." She insists. "When you and daddy leave, Aria and Spencer will take the train down... and Hanna wants to come too."

She was lying. The only person I had planned on taking was Emily, but I chickened out of asking her to come at the last minute.

"So you've already invited them." Mom says, annoyed.

"Sort of." She leans forward. "Look we need a major sleepover."

"And why can't that happen here?"

"Cause it would suck." She shrugs. "Aria and Emily would find... some excuse to leave and Spencer will sneak out in the middle of the night. And Hanna's creeped out by Jason. He stares at her chest."

"I'm sorry. I'm just no big on leaving five teenagers in a Cape May beach rental."

"Please, mom. We need this. Our group's falling apart and summer's almost over."

Now that was true. Even though I had no intention of inviting the others, I still remember how desperate I was to keep my friends. Even though I was a bitch to them I loved them.

Mom rolls her eyes. "Alison, take no for an answer."

"Please." She says coldly.

Mom ignores her. "I think we should share the Greek salad."

Bad move.

Younger me puts on her battle face, ready to do whatever it takes. Then she slowly sucks in a breath.

"I think it's good for two." Mom does a double take. "What're you doing?"

The girl only raises an eyebrow.

"Alison, don't. It's been quite a morning already." She's mad. "Do you hear me? Don't do this here."

It's more about her reputation and both me and younger Ali know it.

She keeps holding her breath, narrowing her eyes at mom, refusing to give in.

"I will leave you at this table."

No you won't.

"I mean it."

No you don't.

"I'll let you land face first on the sidewalk." She says menacingly. "Alison, breathe."

But she doesn't.

"I said, breathe."

I can see her struggle, see her nearing her limit.

"BREATHE!" Mom lurches forward and she lurches back.

People stare now.

"Okay fine! One night!" Mom finally gives in.

Younger me lets out a breath and smirks, knowing she had won.

Then I hear mom whisper under her breath. "I'll get you someday."

I gasp. Younger me didn't hear it and this is the first time I'm aware of it. Mom hated me.

But I still love her.

If only I hadn't chickened out of inviting Emily, maybe things would be different.

Then I remember. I remember everything. Confessing to Emily, her rejection, cutting, and trying to commit suicide. So am I dead? Am I in hell? Having to relive the most painful memories, is that hell?

Everything goes dark once again.

No, I don't want to be dead! I don't want to be in hell! I want to live!

"Emily!" I scream. "Emily help!" Why am I doing this? Emily hates me. She's probably happy that I'm gone. But still, I keep yelling. "Please, Emily!"

Emily's POV

I'm jolted awake from my nap by a screaming voice.

"Emily! Help! Emily, please!"

I look over at Ali to see her thrashing around, screaming.

Is she waking up?

"Ali I'm right here!" I squeeze her hand. I look to the door. "Nurse?! Anyone?!"

A nurse rushes in and looks at Alison.

"Is she waking up?!" I ask.

The nurse walks up to Alison. She looks at the machines, and listens to Ali's heartbeat, feels her pulse, and does some more tests as Ali's thrashing and yelling becomes lesser and quieter.

Finally the nurse looks up at me. "It's a good sign." She says. "She's getting stronger, coming back, but she's still not waking up. Not yet."

My shoulders slump forward.

The nurse pats my shoulder. "Don't worry sweetie, like I said she's getting stronger. She'll wake up, I'm almost sure."

A tear rolls down my cheek. "It's been almost a month."

"I know." She sighs. "But she'll wake up."

"I hope so." I whisper.

AN: WHEN WILL ALI WAKE UP???????????????????????????????????? Anyway, I hope you guys are liking Ali's flashbacks. And she's getting stronger! Yay! Hope you guys liked this chapter! The song is by Lana Del Rey yet again! I just really like her and a lot of her songs fit really good for this story. See ya next chapter!

- G. Schreiber

Tumblr: Gretaschreib
Ask.fm: Gretaschreiber
Vine: Gretaschreib