Chapter 16

Adrian's POV:

I opened my mouth, astounded to ask Diane about what she said. If my ears were not mistaken, I heard her say my brother's name, 'Victor'. Just when I was ready to speak, my brother quickly intervened. He stepped closer to Diane and held her hand tenderly with a glint of longing in his eyes.

"Diane..." He muttered and smiled. My eyes widened slightly. I was surprised. His smile is different from usual. It's like his smile from five years ago ‒ the same smile he had when he was still with his first girlfriend named Megan. Unfortunately, Megan died in a tragic accident and after that, I never saw him smile like that again. I knew how much he loved Megan. He was completely miserable and devastated without her.

"It's so nice to see you again, Victor." Diane happily replied to him.

Victor held her cheek as he moved his face nearer. He's going to kiss her! Frustrated, I shook my head and then my body acted on its own accord. I got in between, separating them from one another.

"Oh woah, hey bro, why don't you umm, go get your clothes changed first?" I reasoned.

He frowned and just nodded his head. After a moment of stealing one more glance at Diane, he left, scurrying upstairs to his bedroom.

I felt a twinge, guessing that my brother likes Diane ‒ based on his smile and actions towards her. I know my brother so well.

This is bad. No, this is the worst. First, Johnny, one of my best buds likes her and now, my brother Victor too. Someone please wake me up from this nightmare.

Before that, I have one question in mind. How did they know each other? And where?

"Adrian, where's your mom?" Ms. Caroline asked.

"She's in the kitchen. She'll be out here soon. Please have a seat." I answered.

"No need. I'll go see her if you don't mind. Diane deary, I'll be right back okay?" She beamed and brushed Diane's hair with her hand.

Diane bobbed her head in response. Ms. Caroline walked away, leaving me and Diane alone in the living room. I vented one deep sigh as I faced Diane. I gestured my hand on the leather couch, telling her to sit down. She obeyed then I followed, sitting next to her.

Without a second delay, I threw my question at her. "Diane, how did you know my brother?"

"Are you two really brothers? You don't look much alike." She giggled.

"Diane, answer my question." I said in a serious tone that made her concentrate on my words.

"O...kay. I met Victor back home, in Seattle." She wrapped her arms around herself as she responded.

"Are you a close friend of him?" I focused, inching closer and closer to her. I have a lot of questions in mind and I won't let her walk away if she don't answer them all.

"Kind of. Well you know, your brother, he's... he's special to me." She comfortably nestled at the edge of the couch.

He's... he's special to me. Those words...

I furrowed my eyebrows and curved my lips downwards, expressing the sadness that immediately rained over me. It's like I've already lost at some contest or race before it begun.

I held my chest firmly, trying to stop the growing ache that started just now. It's rapidly consuming me.

"Adrian, are you alright?" Diane asked while putting her hand on my shoulder.