Chapter 9

"Don't act like it's a bad thing to be my girl." ‒Adrian Henderson, Chapter 8

Adrian's POV:

Veronica, my ex-girlfriend, suddenly became so clingy when I decided to break up with her. She kept sending me like half a thousand messages a day and calls me simultaneously. I blocked her number couple of times before but for some reason, she's still able to find a way to get back in my contacts. I'd rather study hard than be with her or have her around my hips. She's a player. I just found out ‒ thanks to my best buds. I was so stupid to not know her true colors.

I was up all night thinking how to completely remove her from my life. Alfred, one of my best buds, suggested that I should put up an act whenever Veronica's around. He told me to get a new girl ‒ someone really attractive that will make Veronica finally give up on me. The first girl that came up on my mind was Diane. I knew Diane doesn't have a boyfriend yet. Mom told me that out of nowhere. I don't know how mom knew, maybe from her friend ‒ Diane's aunt. She said it was one of the topics thrown in the discussion when mom and dad went to their house.

Diane is like the missing puzzle piece that I've been searching for. Now I made her my girlfriend, partly, as a punishment and partly, for that reason ‒ to get rid of Veronica. Well, I'm not going to consider it a punishment, more like a... I can't tell. I'm not so sure.

Tonight, I'll go to Johnny's birthday party and since Johnny's sister is Veronica's best friend, she'll definitely be there. I need Diane to act up right away.

I slanted my face to look at Diane. She's hiding her face from me. I don't know if that's her way of showing embarrassment or disapproval. Either of the two, it's kind of cute.

"Diane." I called her name to get her attention back.

She raised her head, pulled her hair back then she stared at me.

I cleared my throat before I asked. "Are you free tonight?"

She began twisting her fingers together as she bit her lower lip. I vented a heavy sigh and turned away. Damn. When we act up, I wish I'd get a taste of those alluring lips.

I was startled when she answered. "Yes."

"Oh, great. I'm going to a party tonight and you're coming with me. Wear something eye-catching because Veronica will be there." I replied.

"Party?" She gaped as she asked.

"Yes. Now no more questions. You're gonna start with your acting. Do your best." I answered, giving her a little smile.

She seemed irritated by the way she scratched her head.

"Is there a problem?" I questioned her in a serious tone.

"N-no! None. All good." She responded with a forced smile.

"Good." I smirked.

She shook her head and heaved a quick sigh.

I finished eating breakfast and went back to my bedroom and spent my time finishing my essay.

My phone suddenly rang ‒ Oh no, it must be Veronica again. My eyes widened as I swiftly grabbed my phone. My hands were quivering in panic that I almost dropped it. I accidentally press the answer button. Sh*t!

"Hey buddy! You there?" I heard Alfred's voice. A feeling of relief came over me. Thank goodness it's not Veronica.

"Adrian!" He said in a loud voice.