Chapter 2

Diane's POV:

I didn't attend any classes today. I don't feel like going anymore. Getting fired today felt like gravity is pulling me down to the darkest abyss.

I bought the ingredients and other things that aunt Caroline asked me to get. So I got home a little early. I carelessly threw my bag on the long brown couch then I removed my black stilettos. I huff a heavy sigh as I make my way towards the kitchen while carrying the groceries with me.

"Aunt Caroline?" I called out.

I turn my head from side to side to look for her.

"Diane?" I heard her reply from upstairs.

"Yeah, it's me. I'm home and sorry if your groceries are delayed." I said a bit louder so she could hear.

When I arrived in the kitchen, I put the groceries at the table and start taking out the ingredients first. I can hear aunt Caroline's footsteps coming down the stairs.

Not for long, she appeared in the kitchen. She's just standing there with her tired brown eyes watching me as I arrange the groceries.

"You're home early." She said with a questioning expression written all over her face.

I stopped my hands from taking out the groceries and looked at her. I let out one long heavy blow of air.

"Something happened, I can tell." Her lips thinned as she lower her head.

My hazel eyes turned crystal clear as tears try to escape. However, I remain strong enough to stop it. I coughed roughly before making a reply. "Aunt, before I say it... promise me two things."

"Hmm" she decide about it with a long audible sound.

I twisted my fingers awaiting her reply. My eyes focused on anything but her.

"Okay, what is it?" she finally answered.

"Umm, err, aunt Caroline... please don't be angry and be shocked.."

She came closer and leaned on the table where I put the groceries.

I scratch the back of my head as I tell her. "Mr. Danver fired me..."

She wrapped her arms around me in an instant. I can feel her warmth and compassion. Her fingers fondled my hair. She pulled away a little and stroke my cheek.

I didn't notice that tears are already flowing down uncontrollably. Aunt Caroline wiped my tears gently with her thumb.

"You're a strong girl Diane, don't cry." She beamed to cheer me up.

I hug her tightly and rested my head on her shoulder with my lips murmuring. ..."I'm so sorry aunt Caroline. I'm sorry, I failed you... I let you down."

She pat my back and replied. "It's okay Diane, it's okay. Hush now. You don't need to work dear, we have enough money."

"Aunt Caroline, even so, I still want to help out. I insist on working. I'll look for a job tomorrow after school." I said with confidence.

She chuckled as she brush my dark brown hair through my upper ear. "You really are a hardworking and helpful child. If you insist, then there's nothing I can do."

I start to curve a smile on my face after her consolation.

"I heard that you were late twice in Mrs. Henderson's class." She suddenly replied with a serious tone.

"Ah, that. Wait, how did you know?!" I exclaimed.

"She's my boss' wife. We're friends. She told me about it and she's... impressed. She admired you for working part-time."