Chapter 7-Mates

Thankfully, Alice invited me over again for the weekend. I think I would have died if I spent it on my own. Her parents were back, and I met them when I came in with Alice. Alice opened the glass front door and led me into the living room.

"Mum, Dad, this is Katia," she squealed.

They stood, arms wrapped around each other, and smiled kindly at me. I smiled back nervously, and twirled my fingers together absent-mindedly.

"I'm Carline, Alice and Alex's mother, and this is Chris, their father," Carline said kindly.

"I'm Katia Brown," I said quietly, "Nice to meet you."

Carline had dark blond hair, or possibly light brown, that fell in waves an inch or two below her shoulders, and was of medium height. Her skin was pale, as was her husband's, and she was only to be described as beautiful. Chris had quite short, medium-toned brown hair. He was about six foot, and was several inches taller than his wife.

I began to feel self-conscious, and was glad when Alice saved me.

"Yay!" she squealed, clapping her hands, "Come on Katia!" she said, dragging me out of the room.

I followed happily, but stopped at the top of the stairs.

"Alex!" I said, surprised.

He turned his head at my voice, and I gasped when I met his eyes. I felt the strangest sensation, I felt a pull, a tug on my heart, yanking me towards him. I realised I was looking down, so I forced myself to look at him, and felt the same sensation, just stronger. I was surprised to see that he seemed as shocked as I was.

My mind was in turmoil, and I felt my stomach rise into my throat as I realised what this was. I saw that his head had pieced it together, I could almost heard the pieces clicking together in his head. I was scared, this couldn't be happening, it shouldn't be possible, not for a human. I shuddered at the thought, and knew what I had to do. I had to keep him safe.

Because he was my mate.

I pulled my eyes away from Alex, and turned to see the entire family, including Sam, Jake and Matt, looking at me from different directions. I needed to portray a sense of normality, so I ran a hand through my hair, and shifted my position. But each movement felt forced, because my mind was telling me to pretend it never happened, to protect him by keeping my distance, but my body was telling my mind to shut the hell up, and to spend the rest of my life with him.

Chris was watching the exchange especially carefully, and scrutinising me strangely. Hell, scrutinise your son! He's the one defying human laws! He shouldn't feel the pull of a mate, only the wolf should. Ugh. My mate was a human. I was in love with a human. One that I'd come to care about too. Great. Well done Katia. I always knew there was something wrong with me, here's the proof.

I was surprised to see that Alex was staring at me staring at me with a similar expression to that which I knew was plastered on mine. Say something Katia! They all think you're a freak!

"How-how are you?" I managed to choke out.

Jake snorted into Sam's shoulder, and Alice looked like she was trying to keep a straight face. Matt's eyes were flashing with amusement, and Chris was watching me somewhat sympathetically. Carline was the only one with a straight face.

"Come downstairs guys, Alex, I need a word with you," she said calmly.

I began to walk downstairs, but Alice grabbed my arm, pulling back the way we'd come.

"What?" I hissed, still embarrassed.

"Don't be like that Katia. We can do down the other way, to avoid Jake," she said.