Chapter 6-Absent

"Hi Katia. Where are your parents?" she asked, looking around in confusion.

"I, uh, you'd better come in," I said, leading her into the living room.

My house was cosy, not big and modern like the Williams', but I kept it tidy nevertheless. The living room was a fifth the size of hers, and didn't have the huge windows. The windows were smaller, and panelled, taking up half of a wall. Most of the light came from the lights on a 'fake' chandelier hanging in the centre of the room. There was one, large, creamy sofa, and one brown, leather armchair.

"So?" Alice asked, prompting me and raising an eyebrow,as she sat in the armchair.

I took a deep breath.

"My parents are dead. They died in a plane crash when I was fourteen. It headed straight for the airport. They both left me everything, so I have some money, and I can get a job next year," I said, halting as I remembered them.

Remind me why this was such a big secret?!

Alice moved onto the couch I was sitting on, and hugged me gently. I patted her.

"I'm sorry," she whispered, rubbing my arm.

"Don't be. It's ok, I miss them though," I said, bitterly.

Alice nodded, before extending her hand and leading me to her car. A bright, yellow porche turbo. I grinned at her, and she at me, before getting into her car. I still had the stuff I'd bought over the weekend at her house, and it was better there than in an empty house here. It could be painful remembering them.

I smiled as she clicked the roof down and I felt the wind blow through my hair. I whooped and grinned at her as the car sped down the road, by the forest.

"I came over to see if you wanted to come over, my parents still aren't home, so unfortunately Sam and Jake still stop by. The kitchen as become out of bounds," she said, rolling her eyes.

I laughed freely. I was free of one secret, but the other still loomed over me. Although, they definitely had some secret themselves.

"Alex is, um, out. He's not feeling so good, he might not be in tomorrow," Alice said, stumbling over her words.

I frowned.

"Why's he out if he's ill?" I asked.

Alice shrugged. Hmm.

"You still owe me an explanation," I said, referring to when she'd promised me answers if I came over for the weekend.

"Um, yeah. About that. I-I-Look, Katia, I really want to tell you, but I can't. It isn't safe for you to know," she said.

I pursed my lips, but nodded. I knew what she meant, and said just that. Alice threw me a grateful look as she opened her front door and announced her arrival to Matt.

"Thanks for understanding," Matt said from the doorway, as though he'd heard our conversation.

I could hear the sounds coming from the living room, and Alice rolled her eyes. Matt chuckled as someone turned up the music, and it practically deafened all of us. I winced slightly, although Alice and Matt didn't look too happy either.

"They're taking over our house, I swear. If mum and dad were here..." she shook her head, "Not that I'm complaining. I can be naughty too," she said, fluttering her eyelashes at Matt.

Matt grinned, and grabbed her waist, pulling her tiny, pixie form to him, before kissing her sweetly. They smiled at each other and Matt beckoned me to follow them.

"You get used to Sam and Jake after a while. I spend my time ignoring them, but Alex spends his telling them to get a room," Alice said, smiling grimly as she opened the kitchen door, to reveal Sam and Jake in another shameless make out session.