Chapter 5-Lone Wolf

I headed to my locker alongside Alice, and then headed to English. I dumped my bags on the desk next to Cat, and ignored the glares being sent my way by Gabriella. Mr.Mason rolled in the TV again, and I groaned. Hadn't we finished the film yet? I settled down, resting my head in my arms.

I felt someone prod me in the back, and I turned to see a boy I didn't recognise. I was taken aback, I thought I pretty much knew everyone. He handed me a note, which I took, still suspicious of him.

Katia Brown hu? Meet me after school by my car, red audi.

I stared at the note, utterly confused. He hadn't even put his name! I nudged Alice, who scribbled down:

That's Luke, I guess he just switched classes. He keeps to himself a lot.

I nodded my thanks to her, and handed the note back to Luke, and nodded slightly. He smiled, and I turned my attention back to the film.

When English finished, Alice and I waited for the class to empty, before I threw my questions at her.

"Slow down Katia!" she laughed, "Luke is odd. He stays by himself, and doesn't have any friends," she paused.

Exactly how I should be, I thought to myself. It would be much safer for everyone else.

"It's very unusual for him to ask to meet anybody," said a voice behind me.

I turned to see Matt sling his arm over Alice's tiny shoulders. She giggled and Matt rolled his eyes at her. The love between the two couples I had befriended was obvious. It was nearly as strong as a werewolf and his or her mate. I sighed gently, before groaning at the scene in the cafeteria. It was one I'd come to expect.

"I thought you loved me!" cried a girl, who looked to only be in year 9 or 10 (for my American readers, yr 9=age 13/14, yr 10=age 14/15).

The girl had naturally blond hair, a little like Sam's, but straight, and her skin was tanned, rather than almost white. Her eyes were a striking blue, and her full lips were cherry red from lipstick.

"Haven't you worked it out? I don't love anyone I date," Alex said, exasperated.

The little girl ran off crying, and, as Alex turned, I hated the fact that I saw pain there. He hated doing this, it was obvious, so why did he? I bit my lip, but Alice looked as frustrated as I was. Jake looked a little guilty even. I scrutinised their expressions carefully, but nothing helped. I just couldn't piece together the scraps of fact I was finding. It was beyond irritating.

In some ways, I couldn't wait for biology, and it couldn't have come quick enough. After Alex found another girlfriend that was, so far, still going, I was eager to talk to him.

I decided to ignore him, until he stopped being such a jerk, but that plan was scrapped as soon as I saw all the girls flirting with him. They sat on his desk, wearing the most ridiculous clothing for school, and their buts were seating on MY desk.

"Leave him alone for Christ's sake! He doesn't want you flirting in his face. He'll only break your hearts anyway," I said, loudly.

Every girl in the room stared at me as I sat down, but I bluntly ignored the attention, and waited until they moved.

"Alex?" I asked, quietly.

"What Katia?" he snapped.

I raised an eyebrow, and stayed silent, waiting for an apology. That was uncalled for, I thought.

"Sorry, that was unfair," he said.

I smiled.

"That's fine Alex. But I don't understand. The last few days...well you've been you. And now you've returned to player and jerk," I said, trying not to spark his temper.

"I just feel so useless Katia," he mumbled, head in is hands, "I really want to tell you. Believe me. But I can't. If not for the fact that it's not really my secret, then because it would put you in danger," he said, raising his eyes to meet mine.

I looked down, pained. That was exactly how I felt. I could never tell anyone my secret. Ever. Because it would endanger them. Alex was giving me another puzzle piece to consider, but it wasn't really helping much.

"I understand. More than you think, but I doubt much can put me in danger," I said, smiling sadly.

Alex grimaced, but we could say no more as Dr.Schmitz walked in, carrying our work in a green tray.

***

After telling Alex that I couldn't take him home, I headed towards the only red Audi in the lot. I saw Luke a little way off, and followed him into the forest. It was dark were he was, deep into the forest, but I could see him easily. I was surprised he could see me though.

"Katia, you have a secret," he said.

It was a statement, not a question, so I nodded. How bad could it be?

"I know what you are," he stated.

My breathing hitched. How could he know that? It was impossible. Unless...

"Werewolf," he whispered.

"How do you know?" I asked, my voice shaking, unable to deny the truth, even to a human.

He laughed, cruelly.

"Katia, I'm a werewolf. I'm here searching for my mate. I hate packs, but you," he sniffed my hair and I flinched, "I noticed signs. The obvious things. Good at sports, super hearing, et cetera. And then I decided to switch classes to meet you properly. And I felt a pull," he finished, his voice turning to a husky whisper.

I froze. He thought I was his mate. But that can't be possible, because we're both werewolves, and I feel nothing.

"I feel nothing," I spat the last thoughts that had been in my head.

He laughed huskily, stroking down my neck. I slapped his hand away.

"Come Katia, we're both alone. You can't get too close to your little group, you'll hurt them," he whispered seductively in my ear.

I shivered, and tried to pull away, but he had snaked his arm around my waist, and was stronger than I was.

"I have better control than you," I hissed.

Luke said nothing, put put his lips on mine. I fought back, kicking out and biting his lip. He pulled away, taking his hand with him.

"I like it when a woman's feisty. All the more entertaining. I'll be back for you, I'll make you my personal slut," he said, as I changed into a wolf, not bothering with clothes, and ran.

At first, I was scared he'd follow me, but he didn't. I ran fast, my heart thudding, adrenaline pulsing through my veins. I focused on the luscious feel of the wind blowing through my fur, and ran the familiar route back to my house, listening to every sound in the forest. My senses were even sharper as a wolf.

Once I reached my parents house, I cursed, I'd never taken my car home. I phased back and ran to grab some clothes.

***

After collecting my car, I sent off a quick text to Alex, apologising for ditching him last-minute, and not taking him home. I threw my phone down as I heard a knock at the door, and ran to answer it. I gasped when I saw who was at the door. How did they know I lived here? And how would I explain the obvious absence of any adults in the house? There was only my stuff in here.

"Alice," I whispered.

***

A/N

Dun dun duuunnnn!

Drop a comment! I love comments! I'm really connecting with this story, and I might update The Day I Went And Fell In Love. I might change the title too.

Lucy XD