His Next Victim Part 24

His Next Victim

Chapter 23

Jade’s POV

I watched as Cain’s face turned white in fright.  Biting my lip, I tried to keep in my laughter.  My dad wouldn’t be this stupid.  Sure, I was almost positive that I loved Cain, but I still did not want to get married.  Maybe later down the road when I didn’t have to deal with the police, I would settle down as much as possible, but now, there was no way they were getting me in that chapel.

“Very funny,” I told them with an amused smile.

Jeff and my dad glanced between each other. 

“What’s funny?” Jeff asked.

I sent them a glare. “You’re kidding, right?  You don’t honestly think I want to get married.”

“Hey!” Cain called out while turning towards me.  “You don’t want to marry me?”

“Oh, calm down.  Do you honestly want to marry me?” I asked in disbelief.

He hesitated before shaking his head. “I do eventually, but not now.”

His words set my heart beating faster.  He did want to marry me, and we both had something in common, we were going to wait.

I sent my dad a smirk as I lifted the gun. “I am not getting married.”

“Even if it is to save yourself?” he asked cajolingly.

“Even if,” I replied.

He cocked his gun and leveled it on Cain. “How about to save him?”

My eye rolled before all the words even left his mouth. “You won’t shot him.  We’ve been over this before, dad.”

Jeff slapped my dad on the shoulder. “I got this Jude.”

Jeff leaned down and looked at Cain through the car door. “Do you really want her to go to jail?”

I watched as the understanding crossed on Cain’s face. “I don’t want her to go to jail.”

“Don’t listen to him,” I told him nervously.

“Listen to me, Cain,” Jeff started. “If she goes to jail, she won’t get out for a while.  You won’t be able to see her unless you go and visit her.  No physical contact.”

“Okay!” Cain yelled before turning towards me. “We’re getting married.”

I looked at him in shock. “No we are not.  We are not getting married.”

“Come on, Jade.  It makes since.  I can’t lie in court like those two,” he said while pointing his thumb behind him, “and I am the only witness they have.”

I slinked back into the car seat and glared at all three of the men.  There was no way they were making me go into that church and get married.  There was nothing they could do to make me get out.

“I’ll tell your grandmother you had sex,” my dad said with a bored expression.

Popping up, I throw my door open.  There was no way in hell I was dealing with that woman.  I would rather go up against twenty men with my hands tied behind my back than her.

My feet crunched on the gravel as I sprinted towards the chapel.  I wanted to get this over and done with.  No matter what happened, at least I won’t be alone.

***

Cain’s POV

I let out a laugh as I watched Jade run at the church.  Whoever this lady was, I was guessing she was a force to be reckoned with.