His Next Victim Part 13

His Next Victim

Chapter 12

Cain's POV

I was sitting against the wall with my hands behind my back. Why were they there? Because the idiots that call themselves police officers handcuffed me. I glared at each and every person that looked my way. Some flinched and I had to stop myself from smiling. I guess hanging out with criminals really helps you become more intimidating.

Banging my head against the tin wall, the sound echoed causing more people to look my way and see my death glare. I was beginning to have fun seeing who I could scare with just a facial expression, when a familiar black SUV pulled up. My body tensed, and I cringed.

"Wilde! What are you doing on the ground? Why aren't you doing something about the situation?" A voice boomed. I was wishing at the moment that whatever Jeff had given me had been a little stronger.

"I'm kinda handcuffed," I mumbled and he shot me a look. "I mean they handcuffed me when they got to the scene of the crime, sir."

"And why didn't you flash your badge?"

My face turned scarlet. "Someone took it."

A smile made its way onto his face, but he quickly whipped it off. "And is there a certain person who would do this?" Amusement was clear in his voice letting me know that although he asked the question, he already knew the answer.

"Jade Romano." I expected to find myself a little angry about the whole ordeal, but strangely I was also amused. Only Jade could leave a person in a complete cluster fuck and still have them laughing at it.

"I'll give you a pass this once. There was a time where I was at the end of a Romano scam," he smiled as if remembering the days of his youth. Clearing my throat, he snapped out of his day dream. "Oh, give me a quick report."

"We came here after Jade found Nolan's location. I don't know exactly how she got in, but I'm guessing it was from the back. Jeff and I came in through the front," he nodded his head signaling for me to continue. "Well that explains the bodies littering the hall. When we made it to the main room, Jade was sitting at the table. She killed both Nolan and Carter then fled."

"You let her get away?" he whispered while flicking his eyes in different directions.

"No!" I said offended that he would think I would compromise my mission for a girl. It didn't matter if that girl happened to be Jade.

He glared in my direction before schooling his expression. "What did you do then?"

For the second time tonight, my cheeks turned a light red color. "Jeff stuck me with something and I passed out."

"Ah, Jeff. Got to love that boy, he's a sneaky one. What did they shoot you up with?"

His humor was beginning to piss me off. "Do I look like a fucking chemist? I don't know what it was besides the fact that it was in a hypodermic needle. Now would you kindly unlock my hands?"

My bosses smile just grew. "Sure will, Wilde."

"Thanks Bob." The cuffs scraped my wrist causing me to flinch, but they loosened and slid off. Bringing my hands back in front of me, I rubbed my wrists trying to get the feeling back into them.

"She's your case now, Wilde. As much as I hate saying this, hunt her down." With those words, he walked off without a backwards glance. Now the fun could begin. I was taking Jade's challenge and running with it. I would find her, and I would do it fast.

***

Jade's POV

"I'm going with you," Jeff said as he glared down at me.

"No you're not, Jeff. You're staying here. You can have a life here. They have no evidence on you and you know it. The only thing they have on me is Nolan. My prints are on the gun and the gun is on the warehouse floor."

I grimaced at my screw up. I was so worried about Cain I forgot the stupid gun. What a rookie mistake. Fingers snapped in front of me surprising me for a moment. I looked at Jeff's determined face and knew this was going to be harder than I thought.

"I'm going and that's final."

"Fine," I told him giving in quicker than we both imagined. I would admit this weakness only to myself. I didn't want to go on the run alone. Having Jeff with me would make things less boring and overall easier.

"Are you telling Jude?"

I flinched at the thought that me and my dear old dad needed to have. Nodding my head at Jeff, I turned and began walking to the living room of our local safe house. My dad was sitting at the table with his head resting in his hands; the steaming coffee was at his elbow untouched. He didn't even glance up when he heard me come in.

"I know. You want to talk?" he asked sounding defeated.

"Yeah, daddy. We really need to talk about everything. Including the fact that Nolan was my brother."

His head rose a small amount, just enough for him to make eye contact with me. "Your mother had him before we were together. He stayed with his dad because he was a big shot lawyer who got full custody. Your mom got to see Nolan every once in a while, but that was it."

I stored the information. "I understand. Do you understand what I have to do now?"

His eyes turned sad and he nodded with hesitation. "You're going to run, but I want to let you know that if you ever need anything all you have to do is ask. I'll always be there for you. Now, is your puppy going with you?" His teasing tone let me know that all serious conversation was over now. He didn't want to talk about it anymore, and I didn't blame him.

"Yeah, he's coming. I really need to leave now. You know they will find this house eventually. I would tell you were I'm going, but I don't want you involved in this," I walked towards him. Bending down, I planted a kiss on his cheek while whispering a faint, "Love you daddy."

With that I grabbed my bag and headed out the door to where Jeff was waiting in the car. Hello Rocky Mountains, here I come.