His Next Victim Part 20

His Next Victim

Chapter 19

Jade’s POV

“Can I push him out?”

I looked over at Jeff who had an irritable expression on his face and sighed.  Really, I don’t blame him from wanting to push Cain out the car.  Between the snores and the ‘Are we there yet?’ I’ve thought about causing him bodily harm too.  At the moment, he was pouting in the back of the car.

“Are you seriously pouting like a three year old girl?” Jeff asked him with disgust.

Cain crossed his arms over his chest. “I’m not pouting.”

“Really?  Then what do you call that?  Your bottom lip is stuck out an inch more than it should be, you have you arms crossed over your chest, and you’re glaring out the window.”

Cain turned his eyes in Jeff’s direction. “I thought that this wouldn’t be so boring.”

I let out a harsh laugh. “What?  Did you think that it would be all butterflies and rainbows?  In your line of work you should know that things are tough.  How long have you been working in the field anyway?”

He mumbled something under his breath that I couldn’t catch.  I opened my mouth to tell him to speak up, but Jeff beat me to it.

“Speak louder.  Damn, Jade.  Why do you have to like him?  I feel like were babysitting a kid not driving a NSA agent around.”

Cain let out a groan. “I’m sorry, okay?  I don’t really like riding in the backseat.  It makes me sick.”

“It makes you sick?” I asked, but quickly realized that we were getting off subject. “Tell us how long you’ve been in the field.”

“This is my first field case,” he said after minutes of silence.

Shock covered mine and Jeff’s face, before understanding dawned on us.

“That’s why you’re not that good,” Jeff mused.

I shot him a dark look.  He wasn’t scared, but he did try to amend himself.  “Look, man.  Jade being your first case, I completely understand why you were the way you were.  I figured they would put a more experienced agent on her.”

“Wow, Jeff.  Way to bruise a couple egos,” I mumbled.

Turning my attention back onto the road, I ignored their conversation.  Road markers flew by, and pretty soon, our exit was coming up.  I glanced at the GPS once more to see how long it would take until we were at our destination.  Ten minutes.  Those ten minutes should be a form of torture.  The entire time, Cain wined and Jeff picked fights.  I felt like more like their mom than their friend.

Pulling up to the address, I looked at the house with horror.  Why would someone have so many colors on their house?  I suddenly felt like Hansel being lured into the evil witch’s candy house.

 “I’m Gretel!” Jeff called out.

I glared at him, ignoring the fact that minutes earlier I was thinking something similar.

“May I borrow a gun?” I asked to no one in particular.  Jeff stayed still, but I saw Cain reach towards his holster.

It passed between the two seats, but before I could grab it, Jeff had it securely in his own hands.  I think about my options momentarily, before lifting my fist.  It connects with his nose, and his grip automatically loosens.  Letting out a cry of triumph, I swipe the gun up and get out the car as fast as I can.  Two more door slams let me know that they both decided to come in and enjoy the show.