His Next Victim Part 12

His Next Victim

Chapter 11

Jade's POV

I pretended not to be surprised by Carter's deceit and instead just flashed him a smile that said I had something up my sleeve. Did I really have something up my sleeve? No, let's just say I was wearing a tank top. One thing that I was certain about was that they better kill me now or one of them was going to die.

"So, what is this? A family reunion? Did you have something that you wanted to tell me?" I mocked Nolan hoping to get a reaction out of him.

He just smiled at me. "A family reunion of a sort. I'm thinking you could work with me. Your skills are much needed, and you could stay with lover boy over here."

I glanced at Carter for a second before settling my gaze on Nolan once more. "See the thing is. I would never even think about working for you. As for Carter, I thought I loved him, but he proved to me just now that he can't be trusted. You might want to just consider him dead."

Nolan flashes me an amused smile. "And why would I consider th-"

His words are cut off as I pulled the knife out of my thigh holster and swiped it to my right. It plunged into Carter's neck and I could hear the gurgling sound of him choking on his own blood. I never took my eyes of off Nolan as I pulled the knife out of Carter's throat.

"That's why." The sound of Carter's body hitting the ground resonated throughout the empty warehouse.

A full blown laugh emitted from Nolan as he looked at me with admiration, "You are a cold hearted bitch. Let's get one thing strait. If you don't work with me, there is no way I will let you stay alive. The thing is I'm not stupid enough to underestimate you." He pulled out a gun and reaches it across the table, pressing it to my forehead he says, "So, do we have a deal?"

*****

Cain's POV

We split up; Jeff and I walked towards the front. I didn't know exactly what to expect with Jeff seeing as I have never seen him in action. So, I just mentally shrugged my shoulders and followed behind him. I knew Jude had our backs; therefore I didn't worry about someone sneaking up behind us. Jeff shoots the lock on the door before kicking it open. Bullets fly everywhere, but Jeff just stands there taking them to the chest. I started wondering how the hell this guy is taking bullets, but soon my thoughts are whipped out of my brain as bullets fly towards me.

Jeff raises both his hands and seems to fire blindly. Men drop by twos while I stand there and gawk at how good he actually is. Once the last body hit the ground, he turned towards me with a smirk.

"How did you do that? I mean the bullet thing?" I asked him dumbfounded.

He shook his head at me like I was a clueless child before pulling off his already shredded t-shirt. "My own bullet proof vest. As long as you stand right, the force won't knock you off your feet. Plus, they're lackeys they never aim anywhere but the chest."

"Well, I think you're a crazy ass. How do you know one of them wouldn't have aimed at your forehead?"

"Am I dead?"

"No?"

"Then stop bitching, and let's go find Jade."

I nodded at him agreeing with his logic. We walked down the hall and I couldn't help but feel a little cautious. This felt like a set up more than anything. Either Nolan was a really cocky guy, or he just wasn't prepared tonight because no other men jumped out at us as we walked.

I could hear voices coming from in front of us. The further we walked down the hall, the clearer the voices became. I could make out what sounded like Jade's voice, and another voice that was unfamiliar. I knew it wasn't Carter, so that only left Nolan or one of his henchmen.

We rounded the corner and froze. Jade sat at the table with a bored expression. In her hand was a bloody knife, and on her forehead was a gun held by Nolan. Beside her Carter laid lifeless. His cold dead eyes stared up at the roof while blood still trickled from the wound on his neck. A wound I assumed Jade either caused or tried to stop seeing as she was clutching the weapon that did the damage.

We tiptoed closer trying not to make a sound to alert him that we were right behind him. It seemed like he was all alone, and nothing could stop me from apprehending him this time. I wasn't going to let them kill him either. I needed to take Nolan in alive.

"Stop or I'll put the bullet in her head," Nolan said without turning around.

Jade let out a snort. "You really think I would give you time to put a bullet in my head?"

"You're starting to get on my nerves, 'lil sis. This game that you're playing isn't humorous anymore. Just take the deal, and I will let everyone live."

"Why should I? Even if you do shoot me, Jeff will kill you. So, honestly you're just shit out of luck no matter what you do." She smirked at him then flipped her eyes towards us. She widened them, and I was confused until Nolan turned his head the tiniest bit in our direction.

I could tell that this is what she was waiting for as she jerked her hand up. Her hand reached the back of the gun, and she flipped it on him. Getting her grip tight, she brought it close to her body so the same thing couldn't happen to her.

"Now, big bro, I'm thinking either I shoot you in the head now, or you come back to my place and I'll show you my torture room." The smile she sent him was pure evil. The satisfaction on it scared me to the core, even though I would never admit that out loud.

"Um, Jade? I'm sorry to crush your plans, but I need to take him with me."

Her expression turned icy, but her eyes never left Nolan. "I don't think so, Wilde. My brother and I need to have a family meeting. Family being the key word, so you should just skedaddle before you witness something illegal."

I glared at her. "And killing all those men wasn't illegal?"

"You didn't see me do anything, and you won't find prints. Jeff was just doing it out of self-defense. You have no case, Wilde, and you know it."

I looked at her shocked this time. She happened to be right. I couldn't even get them for trespassing seeing as this land didn't belong to either one of the parties involved in the shootout.

"Jade, listen to me. I need to take him in. It's my job. So, will you please hand him over?"

"What would happen if I shot him in the head right now?"

"You would be a wanted fugitive. You would have to run from the law your entire life, or I would have to take you in instead of him."

She looked at me as if contemplating her options before shrugging her shoulders at me. "You will never catch me."

With that, her finger pulled the trigger and the echo from the gun shot seemed to go on forever. I raised my gun to Jade, ignoring Nolan who was sliding off his chair with a bullet hole in his forehead. "Drop the gun and put your hands up."

She just laughed at me. "You know, Wilde. I'm letting you live because somehow during this whole thing I actually started to like you."

My heart seemed to flip flop in my chest, but I ignored the sensation. "I have to take you in Jade."

"No you don't, but I know that the N.S.A. agent in you won't just let me walk away. So, I'm sorry, babe."

I looked at her confused, but soon understood what she was talking about when I felt a prick in my neck. My head started to get fuzzy, and I turned trying to glare at Jeff. He mouthed an, 'I'm sorry,' before grabbing me and laying me gently on the ground.

He started to walk away, but I couldn't even hear the footsteps. I saw Jade's shoes come in my eyesight, and she stopped. Bending down, she placed a kiss on my lips.

"If anyone ever catches me, I hope it's you," she said as the darkness took me.