His Next Victim Part 8

His Next Victim

Chapter 7

Jade's POV

I was in my room changing, and brooding over the mess in my kitchen. They had better have it all cleaned before I go back in there. I can't believe my dad was that stupid, and as much as I would love to, calling my grandmother was out of the picture. She would just come and tell me how she eventually wanted great-grandchildren, and I was the only grandchild she knew about, therefore it was my job to give them to her.

I pulled off my shirt, and while it was still covering my head, I heard the vase that was behind me shatter. I immediately dropped to the floor. Not being able to see anything, I crawled until I bumped into my bed. Rolling underneath it, I waited to hear something else, but no noises sounded.

Just lying there I was frightened to come out yet, just in case something else happened. The door slammed open causing me jump in surprise. My head hit the bar underneath the bed.

"Shit," I mumbled under my breath.

"Jade?" I heard Alex say from the doorway.

I opened my mouth to scream at him, but before I could I heard his body hit the ground.

"No, no, no, no," I repeated over and over again. He couldn't be shot, please don't be shot.

I crawled out from underneath the bed. The whole room was dark, and I couldn't figure out why. Then, I realized the shirt was still covering my face, and angrily tore it off, flinging it across the room.

I looked over at Alex lying in a puddle of blood. I knew tears were running down my face, but there was nothing I could do to stop them. I prayed to God that he would be okay.

I could hear footsteps sound down the hallway. "No! Stay away!"

The footsteps immediately stopped, and I blew out a breath full with relief. At least nobody else would get hurt. I crawled towards Alex's feet, ignoring the blood that was now soaking itself into my jeans. I didn't want to see where he was shot at. I don't think I would be able to be rational if I saw his wound.

I grabbed his feet and began dragging him towards the hallway. I didn't care if I got shot; I needed to get him close enough to the other so they could help him. I wouldn't let him die. He couldn't die.

Please, God. Don't let him die, I thought to myself right before a searing pain went through my shoulder. I kept pulling his legs while biting my tongue refusing to let the scream exit my throat.

Finally, I made my way into the hallway. Now, I could let the darkness take me, now that I knew for a fact that Alex could be helped.

^^^^^^^^^^^^

Cain's POV

We all heard the sound of something breaking, and just assumed it was her being mad about the kitchen.

"You go," Jude said looking at Jefferson.

"I'm not going; you go," he said looking at Carter.

"You have to be stupid if you really think I would go. Make Cain go. He seems like he's eager," Carter said smirking in my direction.

If everyone else didn't want to go there was no way in hell that I was going either. "I'll pass. I guess that leaves you, Alex."

He got up puffing his chest out in mock courage. I knew it was fake courage by how pale the skin on his face was. He walked off, and as soon as he was out of sight we all busted out laughing.

"God, the poor guy. What do you think she will do to him?" Carter asked.

"She doesn't usually hurt them physically." Jude muttered under his breath.

I didn't really contribute to the conversation; I didn't know any of them well enough to just strike up a discussion with, and I wasn't one to go out of my way to make friends.

After about five minutes, there was still no noise coming from her room. "Hey, I'm going to go check on them. It's been awhile," I told them slightly worried.

"Yeah, you go ahead. Good luck there, buddy," Carter said, and I resisted the urge to hit him as hard as I could.

Turning and walking towards her room, I was almost to the open doorway, when I heard her shout out, "No! Stay away!"

I halted hearing the desperation in her voice. I really wanted to just walk into her room to see exactly what that desperation and fear was causing. I could hear a noise that sounded like dragging.

What seemed like hours later, she finally showed in the hall. She looked up and relief showed in her eyes before she collapsed over Alex. I quickly bent down to grab her while screaming for the others.

They all ran into the hallway and stopped in their tracks. Their eyes were wide in surprise, and I could guess it was from the image we made. Me holding Jade, who had no shirt, her blood running down her shoulder staining anything it came in contact with, and Alex laying on the ground with a bullet in his head.